What's new

30-30 Primer Question CCI 34's maybe?

rockchalk06

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Staff member
Administrator
Fren
I have a good supply of 34's. Thinking the harder cup would be good for a tube based cartridge?

You know the primers wont actually go off by a pointy bullet in a tube fed lever gun right ?

It's not the pointy end touching the primer that's the danger...it's when the gun is dropped and something to cause a cartridge(s) to move forward in the mag and then fly back down violently at a high rate on speed onto the pointy part. Like a Coup/Countercoup action. Then maybe possible

It's not the pointy end touching the primer that's the danger...it's when the gun is dropped and something to cause a cartridge(s) to move forward in the mag and then fly back down violently at a high rate on speed onto the pointy part. Like a Coup/Countercoup action. Then maybe possible

But still never a recorded case of anything like that happening if I remember correctly.

I seem to recall some place doing an experiment to prove that it's possible, but, yeah, never heard of it in real life.

Dammit! I feel like such a bitch. All these years I wanted to stoke my tubular magazine with spire point bullets and I keep chickening out. I’m gonna go run over my Savage 99 with the lawn mower… twice! 🤬🤬🤬🤬

I was present when a tube fed firearm detonated a round in the tube from pointy bullets. It was a shotgun loaded with reloaded slugs of the Breneke type. They were reloaded with the point sticking out of the roll crimped hull. This occured at the second IPSC European shotgun championships. Now shotgun primers are in general " much softer" than rifle primers and the recoil of a shotgun is quite a bit more than a 30-30, but it could happen I guess. It really screwed up his support hand and forearm.

Lever guns have a pretty decent wack on the primer if you don't mess with springs?

Fuck it, buy a new rifle. 😂😂

I found 5 Winchester 30-30 cases on the range awhile back and set my dies up. Killed two setting up my RCBS trim pro, but had 3 to prime. 34's went sub flush and tight.

Last edited:
I found a bunch of 30-30 brass in some of miscellaneous brass the other day I don’t even own a 30-30 wish I did