What's new

Colt Cobra (2017)

OkieJoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fren
I picked up a new model Colt Cobra a couple of days ago. I’ve only shot 24 rounds through it, but I’m liking it. Pretty sure that this will shortly become my new EDC. I’ll always have a soft spot for the older snake guns, but I’ll be acquiring more of the new models as well. Any of you guys like the new model snake guns? Here’s a pic that I pulled off the web, but it’s identical to the one that I bought. The only downside is that it doesn’t fit J frame holsters because of the larger trigger guard.
87A5BC70-0584-4F2B-B81A-B808D178FD0A.jpeg

Work got slow in 2020 and I sold the few snakes I had except one I got from my dad. I haven’t even touched a new one, though I’d like to. And that sucks about holsters, cuz there’s a million of them for j-frames. The new ones are good looking guns for sure, but I wish they’d offer them with their traditional royal blue finish- even as an upcharge

It looks a lot like the DS-II I bought nearly 30 years ago, though I bet that Cobra has better fit and finish. Actually, the fit on the DS-II is fine, but it has a lot of sharp edges that could’ve stood a little more finish machining.

The DS-II is, I think, a modern stainless interpretation of the old Detective Special; the aftermarket stocks I bought for it were actually for a Detective Special, anyway. Loaded with Cor-Bon .38Spl +P, It’s a potent little package.

I had a new model Python and Anaconda. I thought they felt as good, and were as smooth, as the older versions. I just didn't like the bullshit barcode Colt engraves on everything now. It just ruins the look of a classic gun. The Cobra seems like a nice gun and it's pretty competitively priced from what I've seen.

I had a new model Python and Anaconda. I thought they felt as good, and were as smooth, as the older versions. I just didn't like the bullshit barcode Colt engraves on everything now. It just ruins the look of a classic gun. The Cobra seems like a nice gun and it's pretty competitively priced from what I've seen.
Completely agree about the barcode thing. When I first saw it at a store, I thought that my eyes had gotten a lot worse because I couldn’t make out what I was looking at.

Work got slow in 2020 and I sold the few snakes I had except one I got from my dad. I haven’t even touched a new one, though I’d like to. And that sucks about holsters, cuz there’s a million of them for j-frames. The new ones are good looking guns for sure, but I wish they’d offer them with their traditional royal blue finish- even as an upcharge
The deep royal blue would be an awesome finish. You aren’t the only one that has made that kind of comment. Maybe Colt will bring it back one of these days. The holster thing is aggravating because there’s not many options for the new Cobra. When I bought it, I didn’t think about it not fitting a J frame holster. I’ve ordered one, and it should be here in a few days.

See what holsters h&h in the city has,

they've got a holster department

I would say run by Looper Leather in OKC, but I’m not sure if they’re still open. I vaguely recall hearing that they’d closed, or at least closed the retail storefront, but I don’t know if that’s true.

A good friend of mine got lucky and happened to walk into Sportsworld one day and they had just got in a 6" blued one that morning and he snapped it up. It's beautiful. I tried twice to sneak it out when he wasn't looking.

A good friend of mine got lucky and happened to walk into Sportsworld one day and they had just got in a 6" blued one that morning and he snapped it up. It's beautiful. I tried twice to sneak it out when he wasn't looking.
How do they compare to the originals?