What's new

Complete noob to reloading. Where do i even start?

genesis

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok, so, im hoping i can get some tips. I am a complete noob to reloading. I bought a basic setup second hand from my wifes coworker. He has shown me a little bit about the "basics", but its frankly a lot to me. Im not going to ask you guys to take a ton of time to help, but are there any good basic walkthough vids, or books i could pick up? I am starting off reloading 9mm, .223/5.56, and .308. Not trying to get into the other calibers i have just yet.

Thanks!

What equipment did you get? The concept is pretty much the same across the board, but setup and such can vary greatly depending on what press you got.

Ok, so, im hoping i can get some tips. I am a complete noob to reloading. I bought a basic setup second hand from my wifes coworker. He has shown me a little bit about the "basics", but its frankly a lot to me. Im not going to ask you guys to take a ton of time to help, but are there any good basic walkthough vids, or books i could pick up? I am starting off reloading 9mm, .223/5.56, and .308. Not trying to get into the other calibers i have just yet.

Thanks!
H&H use to do a half day(I think) 'how to reload' type class. You basically went through the steps, hands on. I never really went down the rabbit hole, but I thought it was a good step 1.

H&H use to do a half day(I think) 'how to reload' type class. You basically went through the steps, hands on. I never really went down the rabbit hole, but I thought it was a good step 1.
Thank you! I will call em amd find out

Thanks!
I've been collecting equipment and supplies hoping to get started myself. 5 or 10 years ago, the gun store in Edmond at Danforth and Kelly had a reloading class that I was planning to sign up for, but they shut the store down before I could go. I haven't bothered to look for something online. I'm sure there are educational videos out there that would help a guy get started.

This ☝️
You tube has a lot...watch multiples because everyone is different and there are a lot of, say, sketchy tutorials. A lot of really good tips too though.

Bookmark Hodgdon reloading center, and get a script to Loaddata.com Both invaluable for base loads and tables. Get a couple books if you need them (Cabelas).

If you're still a little spooked, get someone in your AO to come over and help - I think @conditionzero and @rockchalk06 would be good to help out since they're up there and they have nothing better to do on a Saturday for some beer or something, lol

Anyway, the best way to start is set everything up like you're gonna start making bullets. Then load dummies and cartridges on the low end of the tables to practice. Get a bullet puller to pull down loads and recycle or fix boo-boos and get familiar and confident in your equipment.

WARNING - for your own good, don't use loads/load data that someone else develops unless it's on a legit site. It can go south quick. Last thing a new loader needs is Bub's super accurate extreme long range 30-06 loaded to imitate a 300 win mag and destroy his gun and parts of his hands and face.

This video's pretty good for starters to familiarize

Beats me on net site to watch & reloading classes.

I know read & follow written published instructions & load data from an established company.

I started loading 38/357 & 308win in the mid 80s with a lee challenger kit, dies, powder dipper, scale, case trimmer, champer, case lube & auto primer.

Had & still use a speer & hogdons load books, got several others ive added to my library through the years.

I read a lot of articles and followed the lee instruction manual and speer manual then set my kit up and started loading base & mid published loads.

I wrote every loading down in my loads 📖,

iirc since im too lazy to go dig up my book, i started out using unique in my lead 38 & 357 loads, h380 in my 308,

after bout a year i began loading h110 in my max 357 loads and win748 in my 308.

Course Id bought a lot of "new" additional reloading gear etc to load other calibers i bought rifles & pistols for.

And in 87' iirc my pop bought me a lee pro1k with carbide 38/357 dies.
It still works fine (i mounted my rt1200 to it so i have a progressive case trimmer), pro1k works well enough i bought few more of them to load pistol ammo with.

Good luck finding primers for 308.

I always se a few boxes of LR and LP at cabelas in Allen. I'll assume that they'll get them in at the OKC store as well. You just gotta check regularly. They have them online but they're a lot. People will trade for stuff too...except me, I won't hardly trade my primers for anything, except maybe other primers.

I've been lucky with Academy for LRP and Cabela's/BP when I have to stomach going there.

These guys have 200's, 210's, 9 1/2's, 8 1/2M's in stock. Going rate. If you can drive (west Oklahoma) you will save a few bucks. I hoarded Magnum Rifle primers like a bitch from them last month and paid 60 bucks for hazmat.

I've been lucky with Academy for LRP and Cabela's/BP when I have to stomach going there.

These guys have 200's, 210's, 9 1/2's, 8 1/2M's in stock. Going rate. If you can drive (west Oklahoma) you will save a few bucks. I hoarded Magnum Rifle primers like a bitch from them last month and paid 60 bucks for hazmat.
Have you been there? Their phone doesn't really work and they don't have an address

I got through. They are new and bought Butch's in Woodward...this is their brick and mortar place. She said you can order whatever and choose to do a pickup.

Last edited:
Have you been there? Their phone doesn't really work and they don't have an address
I have not. I found them in the Sniper's Hide component thread. One of the regulars bit the bullet and ordered. Website is shit, but they are legit. I ordered and they shipped in two days. The UPS label had Butch's Guns on it
1718221241043.png

You can hit the semi new harbor freight while you're there.

And all the gun shops along the way.

I read books and watched videos, thill confused. A good friend that was an avid reloaded came over and walked me thru it. Couldn’t believe it was so simple.

I am in Yukon and still reload single stage. Can help if needed. Seeing it once made all the sense to me.

Butch's was a legit store. i haven't been since it changed hands. I never bought anything there, but they had a ton of guns when i was in there. lot of good used guns on floor racks for customers to fondle. i wish they were in okc

Lots of small gun fun shops west of 35, quite a few east too.

I stop in one every now & then to see if the got a gun I'd like to have at an affordable to me price.