What's new

Curious-ness

JEVapa

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fren
So, without trying to ruffle feathers or hurt anyone's feelings, I'm curious as to why people should get all hyped up over "new" cartridges that are more betterer than others already out there? Especially when they're not so much. I'm talking about the PRC's, and the 6.8 Westerns, and the like.
I have been told and have read all the virtues of these new-ish cartridges but going through the ballistics, reading up on comparative existing cartridges, and engaging with people I know that develop stuff has led me to believe the juice ain't worth the squeeze or that it's more of a hobbyist endeavor. Case in point, 300 PRC vs 300 NM. I had a guy while out in Tejas tell me that the 300 Norma that is in the ASR should be changed to 300 PRC. I asked why and the answer was something like "it's better"...the answers are always like that, then data shows up and they just walk on down the line looking for someone WGAF. The 300 PRC is all hyped up about crushing the 300 WM, but next to a 300 Norma, it doesn't do much at all and is unimpressive. Why would I rechamber a rifle or buy a new rifle in 300 PRC from 300 NM for the same or less performance? Why would I choose 300 PRC over 300 NM if I'm getting a new rifle when the 300 NM is proven and the chosen round for the SOCOM ASR? It doesn't make sense or cents, unless I got a bunch of extra Benjamins and time for hobbies. If it's a hobby and a lot of fun doing it, then I get it. If it's an endeavor to reinvent the wheel, then I don't get it. Anyway, have a nice day

It’s a Hobby thing. And it’s all about who has the bigger dick.

My brother in law bought a 7mmPRC and when I asked why he went with that caliber he said “because it can kill anything in North America”

Then I said, “yeah so can a .308Win”

Then he said “yeah but I can take a long shot with this caliber”

Then I said “have you ever shot further than 200 yards?”

Keeping up with the Jones, I'd guess.

Sometimes it makes you appreciate the older cartridges more when you really think about it.
Sure, there's better stuff than say 30.06, but after 118 years of technology advancement, I'd hope so....buuuut is really THAT much better? Marginally at best.

I also think the latest whiz-bang cartridges sorta attempt to compensate for lots of lack of marksmanship nowadays. I'm not pretending to be an expert shot by any stretch, but I know I have way fancier equipment than my great grandpa did, and he would have outshot me with what was a basic hunting rig in his day.

I don't think I've read from any reputable sources where the .300 PRC was crushing the Win Mag. If they are saying that, they are hyping it all up for marketing BS. I had neither when I wanted a big 30 caliber magnum. I don't like dealing with a belt and I liked the factory twist rates the PRC had. I load long. It made much more sense for me as a handloader.

Same with the 7PRC. I had neither and didn't want to fuss with a belt. Factory ammo using factory rifles, the PRC has a very very slight edge with about 30% less powder to push the same bullet with the same numbers. That makes a yuge difference in my opinion.

I've never understood why one side gets their panties in a wad with all the new cartridges coming out? Same with all the micro 9's and the double stacked 1911/2011's. In this hobby, the more the better? This isn't anything new really. How many spin offs or wildcats have come from the .30-06 since it landed?

Hahahahaha..........it's all about keeping up with the jones's.

I settle in just fine with the old stand by's rifle/calibers that factory ammo can be found & bought near anywhere when needed.

Not that I buy factory center fire rifle ammo very often.

Course I do have a hankerin' for a 360 buckhammer,

but the price for a rifle sorta is in the not justifiable range since the caliber won't do anything better than the rifles/calibers I already own.

Course I'd like to have a rossi model 92 in 454 cassull too, but I'd have to buy a revolver in that caliber to have a matching combo hahahaha.

Makes me now think I need to buy a bfg revolver in 45/70g to match my 1895 marlin cowboy rifle.

I was just sure this was gonna be some kinda pride month shit when I clicked into it.

I don’t reload, shoot long range or have any “new fangled” calibers, so I’ve no leg to stand on in this conversation. But rockchalk’s answer made sense to me. That explanation seemed reasoned- no belts and similar or better velocity with similar charges. Not that anyone needs a reason to shoot whatever the hell they want…

It seems to me that when the old wildcatters were developing their rounds, they were trying to solve a particular problem or alter a particular characteristic to better meet some need they had. In some ways, then, you could claim that the new round was better for that particular application.

It also seems to me that believing the new hotness in ammo is more awesome across the board is less common among more knowledgeable shooters. If you take a trained, competent sniper or an experienced hunter, they understand that every round has trade-offs that make it good for some purposes, but not for others. F'rinstance, an experienced hunter knows that a .300WM might be ideal for an elk hunt in the mountains of Wyoming, but if you're shooting rabbits for meat, it's going to do too much damage to the meat.

If you combine low-information shooters with the current Team We vs Team They attitudes that seem to be so prevalent in damn near everything these days, it's not a real big step to get from "round X shoots flatter over 200 yards than round Y" to "round X is just better than round Y."

Of course, in reality, everybody knows that PRC rounds are inferior because they sound suspiciously commie.

Think back to turn of the century days of your grand parents then into your parents time.

They all had a good hand made bodark bow & arrows, a 38 revolver, a 22 s,l,lr rifle & single shot or double barrel 12 or 10ga that they hunted bird, fowl, small game to deer with.

Most of our elders had never shot a centerfire rifle round until they went to war & shot stuff farther than a 100yrds away.

I keep a 300wm & 7remmag from my old days that I used to use regularly along with 308w & 06' and ar's.

Anymore the pistol I wear on my hip everyday & a 22lr rifle get used more often.

Pretty sure though if I had to use a centerfire rifle to shoot something farther than 100yards away I'd do alright.

It’s kind of humorous. Many of the recent advances which make the new magic come into existence also makes the old magic strong again. In my mind it comes down less to what the ballistic performance parameters are and more about how easy or difficult it is to squeeze the performance into a particular platform. IMO the greatest advancements are in platform modularity. There’s ten roads into town, which one fits your fancy?

Chasing the newest fad cartridge…

I think there is an ego element in the mix. Create something different and see if it catches on.
I can see that for the folks who create the rounds, but I think the question is why do so many guys who have nothing on the line have so much emotional investment in these rounds?

I can see that for the folks who create the rounds, but I think the question is why do so many guys who have nothing on the line have so much emotional investment in these rounds?
Must be ego & jonesin'.

Even though i reload, when I buy a firearm it will most of the time be in a caliber with easily obtainable factory ammo & reloading components.

I have a 6x45, most American shooter's never heard of it; a south african man i know knows it & seen it used in south africa.

iirc wilson & few other small companies make ammo for it.

But it's been around since the 60s, it was a 223rem necked up to .243 then fireformed wildcat benchrest shooters made & set a few records with in late 60s & early 70s.

My hunting loads launch a 87gr to 2770fps & 100gr to 2550fps.

Not a bad little round, but ive never seen it sold in any shop here, so to me its a reloader's only cartridge.

Keeping up with the Jones, I'd guess.

Sometimes it makes you appreciate the older cartridges more when you really think about it.
Sure, there's better stuff than say 30.06, but after 118 years of technology advancement, I'd hope so....buuuut is really THAT much better? Marginally at best.

I also think the latest whiz-bang cartridges sorta attempt to compensate for lots of lack of marksmanship nowadays. I'm not pretending to be an expert shot by any stretch, but I know I have way fancier equipment than my great grandpa did, and he would have outshot me with what was a basic hunting rig in his day.
I have an older cousin who totes an old Winchester.30-06 that you wouldn’t give a hundred bucks for in a pawn shop. Thing is he’s shot it so much for so long that he almost can’t miss with it. I’ve seen him dump a Whitetail buck at full boogie at four hundred yards and he didn’t have a Kestrel or anything else to pull off the shot. Just years of experience with a rifle that was nearly a part of him. That old adage about a man who shoots one gun comes to mind.