What's new

Dove Season Opens Monday…Correction, It opens Sunday

OkieJoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fren
Anybody got plans to hunt? I’m seeing a fair number of resident dove around my place, and I’ve got my eye on a good sunflower field next to a pond. I always look forward to this time of year because I know cooler weather is not far away and the hunting seasons are getting here again. Deer season begins in one month. Anybody going to be planting any feed plots? I’m going to hold off a bit longer, but I’ll be putting in a couple of small plots this year.

You might want to check your calendar. Mine says opening day is Sunday the 1st.

You might want to check your calendar. Mine says opening day is Sunday the 1st.
I’m an idiot. Yeah, it opens Sunday. I thought Monday was the 1st. Thanks for the correction.

Headed down to Wichita Falls today for the opener tomorrow morning. A group of about 12-15 from church go down every year. Have a good time and shoot some tasty birds. Eat, visit, joke around, pig hunt, shoot guns, and eat some more.

I’m out in Boise city and will probably get a hunt in tomorrow morning then I’m headed to my farm for stand maintenance and doves Monday
I love the landscape out there but dont know anything about the hunting. Is anything out by the Black Mesa public hunting?

I love the landscape out there but dont know anything about the hunting. Is anything out by the Black Mesa public hunting?
While we’re waiting on @AER244 to reply, I know that there’s quite of lot of OLAP properties in the panhandle, but a land access permit is now required even for lifetime license holders.

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, there is a fair amount of public land out there. It’s all south of black mesa though. But Rita Blanca NGL is down on the TX state line near the town of Felt. My brothers and I have shot quite a few doves there. Lots of coyotes and rabbits. It’s got a few deer and antelope too.

I really enjoy that area too. Ive not utilized OLAP out there. But I wouldn’t hesitate to try it. I don’t think much if any of it will look like the the state park area though. I think it’s a lot of short grass prairie, crp and ag land. I didn’t see any river bottom stuff on the ODWC map. We could have just as easily shot a limit of doves on the Rita Blanca yesterday, but we hunted a private field a mile away and could see there were just as many doves there as where we were. Ours were just gonna be easier to find. My brother and I got limits Sunday in Boise city, then this morning us and two guests got limits in alfalfa county. The sunset tonight was pretty dope IMG_4606.jpegIMG_4608.jpegIMG_4624.jpeg