What's new

Failure to feed??

HoLeChit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fren
So I finally found the time to get my Beretta A300 Ultima Patrol out to the range. Ran like a dream for the most part, shoots almost as soft as my BLINK system Berettas. But, we had a hiccup. It’s as if the rounds aren’t being pushed back far enough to get the lifter to shove them in front of the bolt? Was running everything nice and wet, the magazine wasn’t hanging up or anything. Just occasionally this would happen and I would have to send the bolt home to keep firing. Would also happen on the last round, every time. Happened with federal LE 00, fiocci HD “00”, federal low brass bird shot, and some Remington 00 buck military loads or whatever it is. Thoughts? I’ve only had 100 rounds through this shotgun. IMG_5197.jpegIMG_5195.jpeg

I have no personal experience with that shotgun, but I’d look at the magazine spring for starters. With my limited knowledge, it sounds like it could be a weak or busted spring.

ETA: a quick google search makes it look like it’s a fairly common issue. Here’s a link to one guy’s fix.

I have no personal experience with that shotgun, but I’d look at the magazine spring for starters. With my limited knowledge, it sounds like it could be a weak or busted spring.

ETA: a quick google search makes it look like it’s a fairly common issue. Here’s a link to one guy’s fix.

hmmm I should have done some googling, lol.

How do the round feed into the tube? Any burs catching on the hull?
Man it’s like throwing a hotdog down a hallway. No burs, no problems, no resistance other than the spring. I can triple feed rounds with a floppy hand while wearing gloves.

Mag spring more than likely. Does it have an extension on the mag tube? Don't forget, under recoil those shell want to travel forward so the mag spring has to over come that inertia as well as shove the shell back on the lifter.
No mag extension, no aftermarket parts on it.

Corgi Rancher has an upgrade lifter for sale over in tardland. He said he put one in his and the listing is for a new extra.

If a new spring doesn't fix it, let me know. There are a couple other things you can try. Also don't really crank down on the mag clamp as that can distort the tube and drag the spring and follower. Does this happen when the tube is full or just when it has only 1-3 left in it?

If a new spring doesn't fix it, let me know. There are a couple other things you can try. Also don't really crank down on the mag clamp as that can distort the tube and drag the spring and follower. Does this happen when the tube is full or just when it has only 1-3 left in it?
Will do. Only 1-3 left in the tube is typically when it happens.

I've probably got about 350 rounds thru my A300...a few less than that thru the 1301. I haven't had that problem with either. I looked at my A300 and the spring @OkieJoe was talking about appears to be where it should. I don't know if the lifter makes a difference in function or not...but it makes a helluva difference in reloading.

The 1301 had one or two failures where it didn't eject a round from the mag to be loaded. Only happened while my wife (who's very small) was shooting and I think maybe was due to how she managed the recoil. I couldn't duplicate it.