What's new

How far too far?

CS Boomis

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’m pretty sure this is kind of a personal preference thing, but here it goes. I just picked up a nice to me piece of glass from a member here. It’s a PA 2.5-10 Glx. The thing that kind of strikes me is the crazy eye relief. I have it mounted on an AR 10 pattern rifle. I was always taught when I was a nipper to mount this platform with the tip of my nose touching the charging handle. I can’t argue against the method as it induces a more rapid natural mount with the sights perfectly aligned as I address the target. What seems weird to me is how far forward the optic is. The front cam screw is in the farthest forward T-slot. It just looks strange against the generally accepted practice. Anyone else have a similar experience or arrangement?IMG_7515.jpeg

Better a bit far forward than too close.

Your diopter is fully rearward. I'd doubt that is in focus for your eye? Screw it in and it should give you a pic slot or 2 set back on the mount. Then work it to your eye

Your diopter is fully rearward. I'd doubt that is in focus for your eye? Screw it in and it should give you a pic slot or 2 set back on the mount. Then work it to your eye
I don’t know if it’s because my dominant eye was set up for distance when I had lense replacement, but the ocular image is bell clear. When the buttstock hits the pocket of my shoulder and my nose touches the charging handle my eye is centered in the scope. It’s almost like when I used to shoot some FITAS shoots and had to start with the butt of the stock below the breast line. For a heavier rig it’s really quick on target, it just looks weird.

Mine are not that far forward at all. How ever you fill the most comfortable behind the rifle.

This video might hold a little.

I don’t know if it’s because my dominant eye was set up for distance when I had lense replacement, but the ocular image is bell clear. When the buttstock hits the pocket of my shoulder and my nose touches the charging handle my eye is centered in the scope. It’s almost like when I used to shoot some FITAS shoots and had to start with the butt of the stock below the breast line. For a heavier rig it’s really quick on target, it just looks weird.
Image inside the optic, or the reticle itself is in focus?

Image inside the optic, or the reticle itself is in focus?
Like Swarovski crystal. Reticle is razor sharp and the down range image too. I had my kid measure the corner of my eye to the rubber ocular ring. It is 5 inches on the tape. I took it out and rested on the back of the truck the other day. At 10x I can resolve a single oak leaf on the point of the reticle in a tree line 3/8 of a mile away. I don’t think I can stand better glass than this. It would be wasted on me.