What's new

M855A1@Bkings

$2 a round, better than most places sell it. It's actually really good ammo.

Idk why but I ordered some.
I guess I need a G3 Pmag for them.

Just use a GI mag.

it's got the spicy tips 🤣

Is there a difference between M855 and M855A1?
Yes, quite a bit. The 855 is a 62gr lead core jacketed projectile with a steel penetrator. The BC is a little low and doesn’t create much yaw.

855A1 uses a 62gr solid copper projectile pulled up on a harder exposed penetrator. These have a pretty high BC and outperform 855 by a bit. They also use a flash retardant powder, but the exit velocity is about the same. Solid copper almost always moves faster and has higher BCs. They shoot extremely flat compared to 855 and have about twice the barrier penetration. The two-piece construction is designed to create yaw when they hit a target and maximize lethality.

There are some good articles on the web...this one from 2010 was a little premature in that LTC Woods says the ballistics are the same and a few months later they were trying to figure out how to accommodate the flatter trajectory without changing the reticle in 10s of 1000s of ACOGs.

Anyway, this is what one looks like...the resin's turning yellow tho.

1719347749580.png1719347822617.png

Last edited:
Mine should be here Thursday. I got a few extra to "consume". I don't have a 14.5" but if anyone is interested I could chronograph them side by side through a 12.5" gas or 16" bolt gun.

The BCs might be on the internet.
Mine should be here Thursday. I got a few extra to "consume". I don't have a 14.5" but if anyone is interested I could chronograph them side by side through a 12.5" gas or 16" bolt gun.
They should be about 2850-2900 ish out of the 12.7. Probably around 2880 I'm guessing. In the 16", they'll be over 2950, maybe around 3000. If it's hot, you add a bunch to those speeds.

Shoot some 3/8' mild steel at 300m with it.

Yes, quite a bit. The 855 is a 62gr lead core jacketed projectile with a steel penetrator. The BC is a little low and doesn’t create much yaw.

855A1 uses a 62gr solid copper projectile pulled up on a harder exposed penetrator. These have a pretty high BC and outperform 855 by a bit. They also use a flash retardant powder, but the exit velocity is about the same. Solid copper almost always moves faster and has higher BCs. The they shoot extremely flat compared to 855 and have about twice the barrier penetration. The two-piece construction is designed to create yaw when they hit a target and maximize lethality.

There are some good articles on the web...this one from 2010 was a little premature in that LTC Woods says the ballistics are the same and a few months later they were trying to figure out how to accommodate the flatter trajectory without changing the reticle in 10s of 1000s of ACOGs.

Anyway, this is what one looks like...the resin's turning yellow tho.

View attachment 5866View attachment 5867
I need some.
I never seen or heard of these.
I need to check my 855 to if I have any.

This is strictly hearsay and JEVapa could probably confirm or disprove, but the 855A1 is supposedly more consistent at distance because the concentricity of mass is better balanced and they don’t tend to spiral out as badly as the original penetrator cores.

I had looked into them a little during the drought, but it would have been cheaper to melt silver dimes into a round ball mold and shoot them in a wrist rocket. 😂

M855 is considered ball even with the penetrator (it's not exposed), but the penetrator isn't as concentric as you would figure it should be and it tends to be less accurate than M193 sometimes. Try stacking 3-5 rounds at 100m. There was some M855 that was pretty much match grade made by a company in the Dakotas at one time. I don't think you could ever find any though, dudes were scooping it up.

The M2/M80 150 gr 30 cal FMJ. is a terrible bullet design. The reason the 30-06 AP round was much more accurate was it was about 174 grains and had a Tungston core that had a copper jacket so concentricity was good, as was more bearing surface in the bore. The M72 Match 30-06 bullet was patterned after this bullet as was the M-118 308 match.
The first 30-06 bullet was flat based and far better than the later boattail 150.

Last edited: