What's new

Question about replacing the gas block on an AR

Kingfish

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fren
I am wanting to replace the gas block on my 308 AR with and adjustable one. There are two basic types, clamp on and set screw. Is one style any better than the other as far as staying secure?

I prefer set screws. No reason really, their just a little easier to me. I’ve seen clamp styles get over torqued so there’s that.

No difference provided the type with the set screws has a slight dimple drilled into the barrel for one of the screws to set into. Once you get it set just screw in a set screw nice and hard that will mark the barrel where you need to drill the slight divit.

Guess I would need to pull the old one off and see if the dimple is there before I order a replacement. No way I would try to dimple the barrel for a set screw. No skills for such things. If there is no significant advantage between the two styles, I'll probably go with the clamp type.

Guess I would need to pull the old one off and see if the dimple is there before I order a replacement. No way I would try to dimple the barrel for a set screw. No skills for such things. If there is no significant advantage between the two styles, I'll probably go with the clamp type.
That’s easy. It requires zero skilz.
The dimple makes it lock in place easier but it’s not really necessary. Once you have it torqued, back out one at a time and use BLUE threadlocker and retorque. Repeat for the other one. It won’t go anywhere. Absolutely no RED or GREEN

Last edited:
I have seen a couple set screw type gas blocks migrate even with loctite. Most barrels now a days have a dimple in them already. I've never had a clamp on one move.

Loctite does not have a product, to the best of my knowledge that will handle the heat of being used on a gas block set screw or clamping screw. See below:

I have yet to use it, but vibratite does:
I don’t know if it is any good though. I’m typically a loctite only kinda guy.

On my most recent build I had the barrel manufacturer pin the block to the barrel, which in my limited knowledge is far superior. Loctite and similar is just glue, with a little bit of lubricant built in to keep threads from galling upon tightening/removal. Pinning the block provides an index and a mechanical lock. The other thing you could do is dimple and set screw, still use loctite because of its lubricant properties, and then stake the set screws to the block. Would be pretty easy and is also easy to remove in the future.

Loctite, vibratite & permatex all make hightemp/high strength permanent locker.

I don't recall the type model number of any of them, know they're red shades.

I've used clamp on and set screw blocks on ar15s,

The clamp ons are easiest Install,

the set screw style on a few barrels had to divot, others already had a divot in right spot, did stake the head.

On both clamp on and set screw styles I just used blue loctite, none have ever backed out.

Last edited:
Super simple to do,