What's new

Self sufficient living eh? Hit me with your skunk recipes.

HoLeChit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fren
In spite of telling him “no stinky kitties” for the past two years, we just had the second worst situation happen. Clyde got sprayed by a skunk. Not just sprayed, but his face is soaked. I gave him 4 baths and 5 rinses, first three were peroxide/baking soda/dawn, last was just soothing puppy shampoo to get everything out and hopefully help his skin. He typically only gets 2-3 baths a year.

Any other suggestions on getting the smell out? How long does it last? Does coat consistency help with the scent persistence? It takes Clyde 10 minutes to air dry, rather than 4 hours for our golden. Both have double coats, but Clyde has that wire hair.

Picture of back when Clyde wasn’t such a fuckin asshole for your time.
IMG_9143.jpeg

This is the stuff on the super annoying commercials, but I've heard it works. It's supposed to break down the skunk oils, not just try to mask it.

I think the guy squirts a shot in his mouth even, so should be ok on his face, but prolly worth investigating.

Good luck.

Edit - Link isn't working for some reason. It's the Pooph for skunk odor at amazon.

Welcome to country living. I’ve never found anything that removes the smell completely. Hopefully, he doesn’t corner a porcupine next. I don’t know which is worse.

Hahahahaha.........country dogs & pepe lepew.

Through the years had plenty of hounds skunk sprayed, just scrub them with soap & tomato sauce then give'm a day or three outdoors

Take him to the lake or a nice pond and let him swim around for a little bit, then let him sleep outside for 3-4 nights. May take a couple trips to the pond. I set up a kiddie pool in the summer for the heeler. He prefers the pond when it has water.

The heeler gets sprayed a lot. Mostly because he's stupid. His biggest problem is he thinks he's a house dog and wants in the door every time someone opens it, so that's always a fight. He is trained to not enter unless he hears "okay", but that doesn't keep him from sticking his nose across the threshold and rubbing all aver your britches.

I learned from experience that bathing a skunk sprayed dog doesn't accomplish anything but making me smell like a skunk. Take him for a nice long swim and let the outside & the heat do the rest.

I do set a live trap and try to catch them whenever my knucklehead gets sprayed. I'm generally pretty successful at that, and one less skunk hanging around is always a good thing.

I forgot, wash him outside or whatever unless you want skunk in your house for a long time. I wouldn't let him in the house for at least two weeks if he's an inside doge.

its hard to describe my disappointment when i click in here and not one person has offered recipes or tasting notes on skunk meat.

if im doing skunk, its gonna be in a southern smothered squirrel/rabbit recipe.

a good initial bath and time are the only things that have removed the odor for me.

its hard to describe my disappointment when i click in here and not one person has offered recipes or tasting notes on skunk meat.

if im doing skunk, its gonna be in a southern smothered squirrel/rabbit recipe.

a good initial bath and time are the only things that have removed the odor for me.

You looking for the hillbilly from the other site? I'd bet a 12 pack of BudLight he's got one.

Course there is also the baking soda, vinegar & dishsoap scrubbing, then after rinse slather them down with tomato sauce & leave outside,

least thats how my woman done the dogs after seeing me scrub'em with a nylon bristle brush & soap and coat them with couple cans of tomato sauce.

Hell when i was a kid way back early 70s when anything east of 24th & alameda was considered "rural" norman, & we lived by rancho drive in theater.

My pop seen a ran over skunk move, he slowed to look at it, he seen two baby kits.

He picked them up and brought to the house,

He knew how to remove the skunk funk sacks,

We bottle fed those little fuckers to full grown size, they're smart & loyal as hell, gentle like a cat till you piss them off.

Being a kid idk how long we had them, but they got out probably when we left for school at st joe's.

When we got to house we found what was left of them, Goddamned white german shepherds jumped the fence & got them.

Of all the stinky stuff my dogs found over the years, skunk wasn't one, so I've never had a reason to use it, but I'm told that a douche (as in actual lady-parts cleanser douche, not forum douche) works wonders on skunk odor.

Of all the stinky stuff my dogs found over the years, skunk wasn't one, so I've never had a reason to use it, but I'm told that a douche (as in actual lady-parts cleanser douche, not forum douche) works wonders on skunk odor.
You’ve got to be pretty confident in yourself to walk into a Walgreens and purchase douche. My luck, the cashier would probably have to do a price check over the intercom system.

You’ve got to be pretty confident in yourself to walk into a Walgreens and purchase douche. My luck, the cashier would probably have to do a price check over the intercom system.
If she's an older cashier she liable to wink at you while she tells you how much she like how dr massengale cleaned her out of the odors left by a funky monkey she hooked up with at the church social

Welcome to country living. I’ve never found anything that removes the smell completely. Hopefully, he doesn’t corner a porcupine next. I don’t know which is worse.
Yeah, that’s tied for number one worst case scenario, right next to bringing a skunk in the house. I’m pretty sure I caught him carrying the skunk around the yard last night. Never could find it though. I’m not looking forward to him finding a porcupine at all, it’s gonna be bad.

Yeah, that’s tied for number one worst case scenario, right next to bringing a skunk in the house. I’m pretty sure I caught him carrying the skunk around the yard last night. Never could find it though. I’m not looking forward to him finding a porcupine at all, it’s gonna be bad.
Hopefully, the skunk got away, and it’s not hidden in the backyard somewhere. Two of my dumbass dogs have been quilled multiple times by porcupines. It’s a major chore getting all of them removed. I had to take one of the dogs to the vet once because they were so deep inside his mouth that the vet had to knock him out to remove them.