What's new

Thai restaurant in Elgin

JEVapa

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fren
IDK how many people here know what real legit Thai food is. Most Farangs (non-Thai) think that all Asian food is the same...rice, egg rolls, and sweetnsour; you know, whitey-think. But if you know good Thai food or have spent time in Thailand, then you can appreciate good Thai food. In OKC, the Panangs are pretty legit. Real Thais with pictures of the king, and some Buddhist shit in the corner. The most legit I've been to is Panang 8 in Norman. They're the newest and they are just like a cao phat stand or small restaurant in the kingdom. Really really good. The others get a little lazy and start making the food fit for whiteys, but at 8, you can get some good food and they'll make it Thai hot if you want. But, they're all still really good.
So, I'm gonna vent. We got a new Thai restaurant in Elgin that opened about a month ago called. It's the absolute fuckin worst Thai food I've ever had. Hands down. I'm actually really sad about it because I think we deserve legit Thai food here but we ended up with legit garbage. I've had Thai food all over the earth including Thailand and this place sucks. I highly recommend driving somewhere else for Thai food. They don't use very many Thai ingredients, like Thai basil, mint, bamboo shoots, and they don't cook the coconut milk for the curry til the oil separates (Most important). This chicks husband is a Puerto Rican dude stationed on Sill and he said they have to import all their fresh ingredients from Thailand which is why they don't have a lot of the stuff. I looked at him like he had a dick growing out of his forehead and had to tell him that there are at least three Vietnamese/Chinese food stores in OKC that supply restaurants and have everything they need (Vietnamese and Thais share most of the same ingredients). No Spice, peppers, basil, mint, bamboo shoots, lemongrass, all the stuff that make Thai food thai food. Seriously, no heat or spice.

I asked if they were really Thais and they said yes and I asked why don't have a picture of the king? All Thais have the king in their home and business. He said they don't like the new king and pictures have to be blessed and go through all kinds of ceremony and bullshit. He was just blowing smoke up my ass left and right. I don't think they're really Thai. I think they're Laotian. Their food tastes like it. Lots of soy sauce and salty like Chinese food. They said they are from Isan - which is NE Thailand next to Laos, and a lot of Laotians in Isan, so I don't think they're legit Thais.

Anyway, if you want legit Thai food, go somewhere else. Pho Paradize in Lawton has awesome legit Phat Thai. The owners are Cambodian and Thai. Even shitty Thai Bistro is better and I'd never go there again. If you don't know and don't care about real Thai, and don't like spice and heat, and generally are meat n taters kind of people, this is probably for you because it's pure nasty and zero culture. lol Otherwise, make the road trip to the City. Aight, I'm done.

Last edited:
Norman's thai restaurants aren't bad.

Panang, on west side.
Thai kum koon, on east side.
And,
Sweet basil is Americanized, but not bad at west end of down town.

There's several more we haven't tried,

we ate at the south side one on jenkins, it's a mix of thai & Japanese. Meh.

Man I enjoy panang quite a bit. Problem is that every time I get the papaya salad from restaurant 5 in Edmond, I get the shits. Totally worth it. I could eat the papaya salad every week during the summer.

I like panang a lot. There might be a bad location, but I haven’t eaten there yet. The food is good and there’s usually lot of it. The “level 5” spice isn’t consistent though. Sometimes it’s pretty warm, sometimes it’s “the cook is just being an asshole” hot. Too bad about the new Elgin place. That sucks.

Kinda unrelated- but have you tried the asian menu at su-shilito in Duncan? I only tried their tacos, and they were OK. Never tried the non-Mexican food and was always curious.

Pix of the King is legit. i miss being able to pick up ingredients at like a regular grocery store, but no Basil? That shit is wack, you could grow Thai basil in our climate most of the year with little effort or even substitute regular if it came down to it. No mint? Bull shit.

Man I enjoy panang quite a bit. Problem is that every time I get the papaya salad from restaurant 5 in Edmond, I get the shits. Totally worth it. I could eat the papaya salad every week during the summer.
Papaya has a laxative effect

Pix of the King is legit.
yes. We used to do stuff in Seattle when I was at Lewis. Half of my team were Korean speakers and the other half were Thai speakers. We had one weirdo that spoke Tagalog. Anyway, there's a jewelry exchange/business building over just a block or so north of the market area IIRC around 2nd-4th AVE. Can't remember for sure. One of the jewelers there with his wife was Thai they imported Thai gold and gems and jewelry, and we used to go chat with them sometimes when they were outside...weirdos aren't getting in that building. Anyway, they told which 2 or 3 restaurants in Seattle were legit. They told us that almost all of them were Isan and to beware because they were very good at faking it but it's still not the same. That was like 22 years ago.

Last edited:
Love Thai food. Both my parents spent some of their childhood in Asia, dad 5+ years in Japan and mom almost 3 years in Hong Kong. Dad spoke Japanese before English. Grandpa was USAF and stationed there twice in the mid-50’s through mid-60’s. First base he was stationed had zero base housing available. They were just dirt poor sharecroppers from Mangum, OK so living in a rice village with locals didn’t bother them at all and they were willing to eat any food. On mom’s side, grandpa did mission field work. So, let’s just say I ate lots of oriental style foods of SE and East Asia.

I like Panang on S Penn when in OKC. In BA, Amazing Thai is pretty legit.

IDK how many people here know what real legit Thai food is. Most Farangs (non-Thai) think that all Asian food is the same...rice, egg rolls, and sweetnsour; you know, whitey-think. But if you know good Thai food or have spent time in Thailand, then you can appreciate good Thai food. In OKC, the Panangs are pretty legit. Real Thais with pictures of the king, and some Buddhist shit in the corner. The most legit I've been to is Panang 8 in Norman. They're the newest and they are just like a cao phat stand or small restaurant in the kingdom. Really really good. The others get a little lazy and start making the food fit for whiteys, but at 8, you can get some good food and they'll make it Thai hot if you want. But, they're all still really good.
So, I'm gonna vent. We got a new Thai restaurant in Elgin that opened about a month ago called. It's the absolute fuckin worst Thai food I've ever had. Hands down. I'm actually really sad about it because I think we deserve legit Thai food here but we ended up with legit garbage. I've had Thai food all over the earth including Thailand and this place sucks. I highly recommend driving somewhere else for Thai food. They don't use very many Thai ingredients, like Thai basil, mint, bamboo shoots, and they don't cook the coconut milk for the curry til the oil separates (Most important). This chicks husband is a Puerto Rican dude stationed on Sill and he said they have to import all their fresh ingredients from Thailand which is why they don't have a lot of the stuff. I looked at him like he had a dick growing out of his forehead and had to tell him that there are at least three Vietnamese/Chinese food stores in OKC that supply restaurants and have everything they need (Vietnamese and Thais share most of the same ingredients). No Spice, peppers, basil, mint, bamboo shoots, lemongrass, all the stuff that make Thai food thai food. Seriously, no heat or spice.

I asked if they were really Thais and they said yes and I asked why don't have a picture of the king? All Thais have the king in their home and business. He said they don't like the new king and pictures have to be blessed and go through all kinds of ceremony and bullshit. He was just blowing smoke up my ass left and right. I don't think they're really Thai. I think they're Laotian. Their food tastes like it. Lots of soy sauce and salty like Chinese food. They said they are from Isan - which is NE Thailand next to Laos, and a lot of Laotians in Isan, so I don't think they're legit Thais.

Anyway, if you want legit Thai food, go somewhere else. Pho Paradize in Lawton has awesome legit Phat Thai. The owners are Cambodian and Thai. Even shitty Thai Bistro is better and I'd never go there again. If you don't know and don't care about real Thai, and don't like spice and heat, and generally are meat n taters kind of people, this is probably for you because it's pure nasty and zero culture. lol Otherwise, make the road trip to the City. Aight, I'm done.
Didn’t even know that we had a new Thai place in Elgin, but it doesn’t sound like I’ve missed anything. I like Polly’s in Lawton. They will make it extremely hot if that’s what you like. I’m no Thai expert, but I’ve been pleased with Poly’s. My only complaint is that they quit making donuts.

Didn’t even know that we had a new Thai place in Elgin, but it doesn’t sound like I’ve missed anything. I like Polly’s in Lawton. They will make it extremely hot if that’s what you like. I’m no Thai expert, but I’ve been pleased with Poly’s. My only complaint is that they quit making donuts.
Polly’s is pretty good but they have old rice sometimes, so we don’t go there much. The lady that had it before Polly and the donuts too and her food was awesome.

In BA, Amazing Thai is pretty legit.
Amazing Thai (aka Fire Ass Thai (seriously) if you're ordering through DoorDash) used to be well-named, but the last time or two that I ordered from them, they weren't particularly amazing, more like Meh Thai. The last time I ordered from Asian Fusion I got their Chicken Pad Thai, and I thought that was pretty good.

I like to introduce new cultures to my family as we are blended. Wife from Mexico. Things are different and challenging at times. Reason why I do this is to show how cultures think differently and how everyone is generally united or brought together by food. Right we are Asian foods. We have not gotten to Thai yet, we are on Vietnamese and our favorite place to eat is at Pho Lien Hoa in Okc.
Is it real? Hell idk but it’s good. We have ate at several different places and thought not coming back. This place is like what you mentioned above. Cash only.

Pix of the King is legit. i miss being able to pick up ingredients at like a regular grocery store, but no Basil? That shit is wack, you could grow Thai basil in our climate most of the year with little effort or even substitute regular if it came down to it. No mint? Bull shit.

Papaya has a laxative effect
Hmmm good to know.

We have Thai basil and mint growing like weeds here. I’ll transplant the basil in with tomatoes and stuff coz bugs and bunnies don’t like it much. We try to propagate it as much as possible. Cilantro is a bitch to grow, but I’ll figure it out and I think I’ll try some lemongrass. We had some sweet basil but that shit got wiped out from the Thai.
We use it fresh but we’ll cut a bunch and wrap them in foil and put in the freezer for winter use.

Thai Basil
IMG_2123.jpegIMG_2125.jpeg

Mint
IMG_2126.jpeg

We have Thai basil and mint growing like weeds here. I’ll transplant the basil in with tomatoes and stuff coz bugs and bunnies don’t like it much. We try to propagate it as much as possible. Cilantro is a bitch to grow, but I’ll figure it out and I think I’ll try some lemongrass. We had some sweet basil but that shit got wiped out from the Thai.
We use it fresh but we’ll cut a bunch and wrap them in foil and put in the freezer for winter use.

Thai Basil
View attachment 6220View attachment 6221

Mint
View attachment 6222
Cilantro is short lived, it’ll turn into coriander, once it drops seeds it’ll grow back into cilantro then repeat cycle
Does not stay cilantro

I just want it to grow big enough to be cilantro