What's new

Who else here likes the 6.8SPC

KurtM

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The more things I shoot with it the better I like it. It has good capacity, it is plenty accurate out to 300 yards. I run an 18" barrel and get 2600 fps with a 120 grain SST or 115 grain Fusion bullet. Last pig I shot was at a slight down angle at 60 yards. Bullet went through the top of its head, out it's lower jaw, into it's chest through the heart and I found the bullet 2/3 of the way through it's body just under the skin of it's belly. Pig weighed 234 on the scale. Bullet weighed 103 graines and had expanded nicely to .44.
I also tried some 90 grain hollow point and they track out at 2923fps and are very explosive on pigs and smaller stuff. I'm liking on it!!!
All velocities on Lab Radar.

Last edited:
It almost became a thing where I used to work, but even today, after 15-20 yrs, you are not allowed to say 6.8 in that building. :ROFLMAO:

I don't have any non 556 ARs because of logistics, but been thinking about it. It is a good round and one of the original "other" caliber AR cartridges.

Yeah a little scull duggary between CAG, AMU and Group for sure. If anyone sees this you might be banished.

Last edited:
I had a few several years ago but foolishly sold them. One was just a RRA AR that was a nice enough rifle. And the other was...

A Mini-14. The Mini just happened to come thru my shop when the round was popular. A friend bought it and still shoots it. It was actually a fun rifle and I've sorta kinda been hinting I wouldn't mind having it back. 😳 But I haven't even looked into ammo availability or price.

I really liked the round myself but I never did anything with it but recreational shooting.

It is ballistically a 250 Savage that fits in an AR platform!

I had a few several years ago but foolishly sold them. One was just a RRA AR that was a nice enough rifle. And the other was...

A Mini-14. The Mini just happened to come thru my shop when the round was popular. A friend bought it and still shoots it. It was actually a fun rifle and I've sorta kinda been hinting I wouldn't mind having it back. 😳 But I haven't even looked into ammo availability or price.

I really liked the round myself but I never did anything with it but recreational shooting.

Never knew they made a mini in anything but 5.56 and 7.62x39

can't recall if the mini was just a 6.8 or the 6.8spc.

iirc back when ruger made them there was somesuchshit difference in 6.8 & 6.8spc

6.8 has always had the SPC after it. There is a difference in 6.8SPC and 6.8SPC ll in throating and barrel twist to help alleviate some of the pressure signs the 6.8SPC had when loaded to required velocities.
SPC stands for special pourpose carbine, the designation the Army wanted on it as it wasn't going to be general issue.

6.8 has always had the SPC after it. There is a difference in 6.8SPC and 6.8SPC ll in throating and barrel twist to help alleviate some of the pressure signs the 6.8SPC had when loaded to required velocities.
SPC stands for special pourpose carbine, the designation the Army wanted on it as it wasn't going to be general issue.
I couldn't recall what difference it was, just there was some difference.

But yes it was as you posted, spc & spc II.