What's new

6mm MAX - Lets go!

conditionzero

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Staff member
Administrator
Fren

The 6mm MAX is pressure tested to SAAMI standards of 55k psi. It is a brand new cartridge designed for the unmodified mil-spec .378 bolt face, and a full mass bolt carrier group. The 6mm MAX holds 35 grains of water capacity which ultimately determines the energy potential of the cartridge. In this case, 1750+Lbs of energy. Why is that so significant? The 6mm MAX can launch an 87 gr Berger VLD at 3009 fps from a 24” barrel. This produces 1749 lbs at the muzzle, 1504 lbs at 100 yards, 1093 lbs at 300 yards, 775 lbs at 500 yards, 533 lbs at 700 yards, and stays supersonic past 1000 yards. These ballistics are at standard atmospheric pressure and temperature.

I know @JEVapa has more than a little knowledge about closing great distances with small objects. I’d be interested in hearing his take on this. A buddy and I were spitballing distance options a couple of years ago and came up with something similar to this in theoretical form. I think it was before this parent cartridge was released.

FWIW and my google fu considered, I did a quick look for barrels chambered in this round and came up empty. I like it in theory. I have an old Savage 110 currently chambered in .223 that would be a great candidate for a barrel swap for ghits and shiggles.

I was reading somewhere, the parent case is the 350 legend necked down to 6mm.

I was reading somewhere, the parent case is the 350 legend necked down to 6mm.
That’s what they were saying in the video. It retained the 5.56 bolt head which is a boon. Seems like when you start opening up the bolt face in gas guns reliability of extractors and lugs takes a crap.

I know @JEVapa has more than a little knowledge about closing great distances with small objects. I’d be interested in hearing his take on this. A buddy and I were spitballing distance options a couple of years ago and came up with something similar to this in theoretical form. I think it was before this parent cartridge was released.

FWIW and my google fu considered, I did a quick look for barrels chambered in this round and came up empty. I like it in theory. I have an old Savage 110 currently chambered in .223 that would be a great candidate for a barrel swap for ghits and shiggles.
I think right now only SoL and BC have them.

There’s a fella over on the M1A forums that’s messing around with a .223 Improved. How much mileage he gets is yet to be determined. The fact that the 6mm Max has already gone through the SAAMI process means it’s all but on Walmart shelves.

SOLGW doesn’t have them listed yet. Your link is to the 6 ARC which is great in turnbolts but problematic in self stuffers.

SOLGW doesn’t have them listed yet. Your link is to the 6 ARC which is great in turnbolts but problematic in self stuffers.
Thought I beat ya to seeing that :LOL:

My 6ARC feeds great. The problem is rapid fire and reloaded pushing pressure's up. 6MAX can be push around a little and case is a lot smaller. I’m interested for sure. Who is going to do it first?

At my current heading and altitude it’s going to take me a few days to get the things shot that currently need shot. As soon as I drag my tractor home I want to get started on my home range. I can almost squeeze 500 yards in. Then I won’t have such a hassle loading up and going somewhere else to make noise.

My 6ARC feeds great. The problem is rapid fire and reloaded pushing pressure's up. 6MAX can be push around a little and case is a lot smaller. I’m interested for sure. Who is going to do it first?
One note I found interesting. On the video they were talking about it using ball powder to maximize the case capacity. Isn’t that the very thing that caused Mr. Stoners favorite child to receive a black eye when presented to society? Perhaps this is a dish best served above and below the tropics.

Anyone found a barrel and brass yet? I refuse to pay for absurdly over priced shit factory ammo.

I still haven't found a lever gun that fits my budget and isn't going to require me another grand and a year wait for a can. Because of that, thinking about an AR build for woods hunting. Something 30 cap & under so I can use the can I have.

Anyone found a barrel and brass yet? I refuse to pay for absurdly over priced shit factory ammo.

I still haven't found a lever gun that fits my budget and isn't going to require me another grand and a year wait for a can. Because of that, thinking about an AR build for woods hunting. Something 30 cap & under so I can use the can I have.
BC has brass and barrels https://bcprecisionballistics.orchidnow.com/products/6mm_max_brass

Still waiting on the barrels to be in hand to allow purchase, better than some rando pre-order I guess.

"Shop page is live! When we receive shipping info on barrels, we will make barrels live for purchase."

Edited: Wtf. Wrong thread. Not sure how that happened at all.

Last edited: