What's new

70 FPS drop from 50° to 5°

rockchalk06

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Staff member
Administrator
Fren
IMR 4064 under a 168 grain ELDM. Ran consistently 2670 in 50°. Did this on 3 different days.

Ran 5 over my Chrono at 3°-5° and it's a consistent 2600.

That's a pretty substantial drop in FPS.

BTW, it's snowing now

Probably about right, considering humidity and pressure difference also. Some powders don't perform as well with that big of temp swing. I have used 4198 4350 couple others but not 4064 so that may not help. Or I'm full of shit, I leave it to you to decide

Stick them in your coat pocket and let body warmth warm them up. See if your FPS is back to normal?
I should have tried that.... Rifles packed up and my fingers are stiff.

I was trying to simulate sitting in a tree or in a field all morning though, so I think I did what I needed too. Basically went from 1.9 MOA to 2.1. I'm kinda happy with what I learned. Data held true out to 300 when I entered the lower FPS in my app.

Probably about right, considering humidity and pressure difference also. Some powders don't perform as well with that big of temp swing. I have used 4198 4350 couple others but not 4064 so that may not help. Or I'm full of shit, I leave it to you to decide
I don't think I've ever shot my .308's this cold that 4064 was affected like this before.

If I get this Glock 45 sold, there is a Tikka in .308 sitting on a shelf with my name on it
You know what they say about excuses. You don't want to anger the gun gods with weather moving in. You'll lose another 50 fps!

You know what they say about excuses. You don't want to anger the gun gods with weather moving in. You'll lose another 50 fps!
In this case, dropping 800 plus on my credit card would make the boss a little miffed

I'm debating on running back out there and seeing what my hunting rig in 6.5 does with H4350. I've got good dope down to 27 degrees on it.

In this case, dropping 800 plus on my credit card would make the boss a little miffed

I'm debating on running back out there and seeing what my hunting rig in 6.5 does with H4350. I've got good dope down to 27 degrees on it.
Do it. i will watch from the couch.

I keister my rounds when it is that cold and pull em out as needed

It would be interesting to see what the H4350 would do like it was said shoot a few cold and then a few warm out of your pocket I seen a guy one summer pull some rounds out of a ice chest and then some off the bench didn’t ask what he found out wish I would’ve

It would be interesting to see what the H4350 would do like it was said shoot a few cold and then a few warm out of your pocket I seen a guy one summer pull some rounds out of a ice chest and then some off the bench didn’t ask what he found out wish I would’ve
This 147 grain ELDM load I have for my Tikka did not change from 50° to 27°. FPS and POI did not change. Big difference between 27° and 3° though

This 147 grain ELDM load I have for my Tikka did not change from 50° to 27°. FPS and POI did not change. Big difference between 27° and 3° though
It should be colder tomorrow morning.

Oh relax! There wasn't a single Russian that complained that the Finnish rifles shot a little slower in the winter of 39!😁

Hogdon powder vs IMR powder in the same types (4895, 4350, etc), you will have less temperature effect from the Hogdon. My favorite load in 30/06 is the 165 gr boat tail over IMR 4350. I tried some Hogdon and had higher velocity than the IMR on two different occasions with a 30-40 degree difference. I I used a Lab Radar to measure the results