What's new

Display Guns

OkieJoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fren
Never thought that I would buy a gun and not shoot it, but I may have broken my rule today. Also, this post is going to sound kind of like a David Allen Coe song. An old buddy of mine was killed in a bar fight a few months ago, and his wife is selling a few of his things. I ended up buying a Colt 1860 Colonel John Mosby commemorative revolver. For those that don’t about John Mosby, he was a well known confederate Colonel known as the Grey Ghost that led a group of guerrilla type soldiers. The American Historical Foundation purchased 150 revolvers and had them specially engraved to honor him. To be clear, I’m not a racist, and I do not own a confederate flag or any other confederate memorabilia. John Mosby went on to work for the federal government after the Civil War. Anyway, here’s a pic. I’ll probably change my mind at some point and shoot it because I have never bought a gun just to display it on a shelf. Feel free to post any display guns that you have.

Engraved American Historical Foundation Colonel John Singleton Mosby Limited Edition Commemorative Colt Model 1860 Army Percussion Revolver 89 of 150​

B6AE7EC8-5DD9-47AF-A60F-92C2E8A61CF3.jpeg

Condolences on your friend.

Mosby was probably my third favorite hero behind Thomas Jackson and Nathan Forrest. Race has jack and shit for why most of the South was fighting. A genius in the saddle in still a genius regardless of the color of their uniform.

Bad damn deal about your friend.

Nice looking revolver. I probably wouldn't shoot that revolver. Everyone would understand. You can't unshoot one. Once it's shot that's it. That's a nice looking display piece.

Care to mention the name of the bar, so we can make sure we avoid it?

Bad damn deal about your friend.

Nice looking revolver. I probably wouldn't shoot that revolver. Everyone would understand. You can't unshoot one. Once it's shot that's it. That's a nice looking display piece.

Care to mention the name of the bar, so we can make sure we avoid it?
The bar isn’t considered a rough bar. My buddy, Johnny, was a pretty tough old cowboy, but he was legally a senior citizen. The shit head that killed him was a younger punk that worked at a local restaurant. The young punk was an obnoxious shit when he was drinking. For whatever reason, the shithead knocked Johnny’s hat off his head which is what started it. I’ve posted a link to the story, but the “witnesses” described in the story are buddies of the shithead. Johnny was knocked unconscious, and the shithead got on top of him and continued to beat him to death.

Damn, that sucks about your friend, but I’m with @jakeman . I don’t think I’d shoot that particular pistola.

I have a few guns that are wall hangers, but only one intentionally so. That’d be the old S&W wheelgun in .38S&W that I bought years ago. I don’t recall if .38S&W was unobtanium or just stupid expensive at the time, but the gun was stupid cheap and I thought it looked neat.

I also have my grandfather’s old Winchester .22 pump (I want to say it’s an 1890–it’s the one with the hexagonal barrel) that went through a house fire. I talked to a machinist/gunsmith about restoring it, and he said the fire had been too hot and it was a lost cause. He gave a technical explanation, maybe something to do with the steel losing its temper, but it has been too long; all I remember is that the barrel was distorted.

The other is a really old Winchester pump shotgun. There are two versions of this particular model, and the other one has parts availability…

The bar isn’t considered a rough bar. My buddy, Johnny, was a pretty tough old cowboy, but he was legally a senior citizen. The shit head that killed him was a younger punk that worked at a local restaurant. The young punk was an obnoxious shit when he was drinking. For whatever reason, the shithead knocked Johnny’s hat off his head which is what started it. I’ve posted a link to the story, but the “witnesses” described in the story are buddies of the shithead. Johnny was knocked unconscious, and the shithead got on top of him and continued to beat him to death.

I've been in there many, many times. I've never even seen anyone have so much as a cross word with anyone else. I used to frequent Medicine Park quite often, for reasons that are best left unspoken.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I've been in there many, many times. I've never even seen anyone have so much as a cross word with anyone else. I used to frequent Medicine Park quite often, for reasons that are best left unspoken.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Thanks brother. I used to go in there quite often myself. We probably crossed paths a time or two.

I'm sorry for your loss. As far as shooting the pistol, I don't think I would if your friend had it for a long time and he didn't shoot it. I don't think he would want it shot. Call me sentimental or stupid, but that's the way I feel about things like that.

Very sorry about your loss.

I'd shoot that (a lot). Hope you enjoy it either way.

Sorry to hear about that. I didn't know him but I heard about it. That might be a pistol I wouldn't shoot.

BTW, I haven't been there since Jason took me out on my 50th and got me trashed.

Sorry to hear about that. I didn't know him but I heard about it. That might be a pistol I wouldn't shoot.

BTW, I haven't been there since Jason took me out on my 50th and got me trashed.
Maybe we should have an OkBalls get together at the tavern. Btw, Jason got permanently banned when he rode his donkey through the front door. I had to go get the damn thing after they arrested him.

Condolences.

If it was me, I'd show respect & honor to my friend for leaving me a fine tool by keeping it clean & tidy,

and every now and again on certain occasions taking it out, loading it, then shooting it,

It would be like running into someone I've known forever but haven't seen in a while, we'd fight a bit, then have a smoke, a drink & shoottheshit, then we'd part until we see each other again whenever that may be.

Maybe we should have an OkBalls get together at the tavern.

In.

Maybe we could get Jason a disguise. I'd like to have a pop with anyone that would ride a donkey into a bar. Instead of banned, he should have been awarded free drinks all night.

In.

Maybe we could get Jason a disguise. I'd like to have a pop with anyone that would ride a donkey into a bar. Instead of banned, he should have been awarded free drinks all night.
A donkey makes complete sense to me. I can tell you for a fact that a cow pony is a damn tight squeeze and hard to get turned around get away…

Could always be festus haggen & ride a mule................. but only if you can sing like the son of the pioneer's