What's new

Help me fix one

Boob McNutt

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fren
I have a Mossberg 100ATR in 30-06 that was hacksawed to a smidge under 17, didn't leave enough meat to do a proper crown, so it was left alone, sitting there shiny.
That's how I got it so don't judge.
I had extensive conversations with swampratt about it, he said the barrel is too skinny to bother threading for a good 30cal muzzle device (plus you lose an extreme amount of velocity going short on 30-06). I was thinking of dumping the $200 into paperwork and just having the barrel quality shortened to where it's thicker, but @PanhandleGlocker brought up a good point. I have no problem cutting it to 14.5 and doing a pin & weld, and to be honest that thought never occured to me in the two years I've owned it.
I'm 100% open to any muzzle device that'll work since Im not limited to an existing thread pitch right now and I don't plan on buying a 30cal can (assuming there exists one that approves of short 30-06 pressures).
I don't wanna spend a lot, right now it's a great $200 truck gun. That's why I never stamped it.
Anyone got any ideas?
I don't have any pics at the moment, it's pretty buried.

There are some clamp on muzzle brakes you can get. Then just weld it on after you get it set. A rebarrel is always an option to a caliber you want. the barrel nut is not had to remove and reinstall. Just need go gauge and no go gauges. You have lots of options just how much do you want to spend. plus you can always sale it.

Does it group ok? If so and it was mine, I'd leave it alone and just cold blue the shiny crown. I wouldn't sink any more money into a hacked on Mossberg and you'll lose another 150fps going to a 14.5 plus muzzle device.

You said yourself it's a great truck gun as it is.

Lol. Rebarrel it. By the time you get done doing all kinds of thing to accommodate the hack job, you could’ve rebarreled it for not much more. And, without a crown, it’ll always shoot like garbage.

Lol. Rebarrel it. By the time you get done doing all kinds of thing to accommodate the hack job, you could’ve rebarreled it for not much more. And, without a crown, it’ll always shoot like garbage.
I’d agree with that. You can change the caliber or stay with a 30/06.
it might cost a little bit more to have someone like ER Shaw install their barrel but it might give you a great rifle!

Time for a Whelen rebarrel

If you want to keep it and just have something ridiculous and fun, I say chop it to 13.7-14.9, get a good proper crown, and then P/W something like a SOLGW Nox on it or maybe something from Griffin or Forward Controls.

You could go without the suppressor QD mount, but if you wanted, you could get a Rex Silentium MG10, which will handle everything you can throw at it supposedly. Full auto Rated up to 300RUM, no barrel length restrictions. "Industry standard" 1.375-24 main thread mount, so you could use a keymo adapter or whatever qd adapter you want really.

Thats what I would do. If you already have other rifles to do that rifles job, why not have some fun?

I have an entire parts gun for .308 minus receiver, but I'm running into short action vs long action issues haha