What's new

Hot weather, heart pulse, and scopes

GC7

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fren
Did some shooting yesterday around peak heat hours (2pm-4pm) when it was 100*F outside. Scoped rifle (4x-16x) with bipod on a bench.

I was under shade, but it was hot enough that I could feel beads of sweat rolling down my ass crack.

When trying to look through the scope at 16x and to line up a shot, my pulse was just making it jump around crazily. Tried to calm my breathing but it didn't help.

I'm average weight and have pretty good cardio due to an established exercise routine. I was well hydrated at the time and wearing lightweight breathable clothing.

There's not much you can do for this right?

I watch the sun rise when it's this hot. That helps a ton in this heat

Did some shooting yesterday around peak heat hours (2pm-4pm) when it was 100*F outside. Scoped rifle (4x-16x) with bipod on a bench.

I was under shade, but it was hot enough that I could feel beads of sweat rolling down my ass crack.

When trying to look through the scope at 16x and to line up a shot, my pulse was just making it jump around crazily. Tried to calm my breathing but it didn't help.

I'm average weight and have pretty good cardio due to an established exercise routine. I was well hydrated at the time and wearing lightweight breathable clothing.

There's not much you can do for this right?
The simplest way to put it, is even though you might be hydrated and in reasonably decent shape, you're proabably sweating and losing H2O (volume) faster than you can replenish it (interstitial space is still full). So your regulatory system thinks you have low volume and causes your heart to beat harder, (not faster, but with harder contractions, unless you're overheating). That's the bump you see. Also, since you are getting hotter, the more your heartbeat will crank up some to move blood to the periphery to sweat and cool down. It's a never-ending cycle. Keep drinking water, but don't overheat. It's easy to overheat even when hydrated and then your regulatory system will FTFO and make it worse (high BP, high HR, high Temp).

The best thing to do is to acclimatize to the heat - ie, go out in this shit daily and stay hydrated. It'll only take a week or two-ish. Shooting in the AM would be better though.

Last edited:
I appreciate that detailed explanation!

Excellent responses. thanks.

I've shot so much pistol in the past year I forgot how much fun it is to shoot rifle.. and this was just my Savage MK2 at 50 yards.

Gettin the itch to buy some boxes of match grade and see how many cloverleafs I can make now.

I run into this problem with CHF it’s almost impossible for me to shoot in the heat

Ya’ll should try the weather here in Wyoming. Hoodie at 0500 then around 0800 t-shit and jeans the rest of the day. Forgot to add a ton of off. 😂