What's new

I joined the 300 win mag club

I thought the 300prc was basically supposed to replace the 300wm much like the 7prc replacing the 7mm rem mag.

I never liked head spacing off the belt of these belted magnums so you may want to set them up to head space off the shoulder. I also don’t know how much case capacity if any one may loose with the longer ELDX/M and VLD bullets. Im sure the chambers that are being cut for the 300wm don’t have the necessary lead for the longer bullets nor is the mag long enough to push the bullet further out of the case.

With all that being said, the 300wm is still a very good round, both in hunting and long range shooting.
Hell I can’t afford to fill the case with that much powder so I’ll have lots of room for long bullets!

I've only owned 1 .300WM. It was a Colt Light Rifle I owned for a while in the mid-2000s. And it was light. Really light. 5.4 pounds, about 6.5 with the scope and rings I had on it. Great shooting rifle and was a real joy to shoot if you like LOTS of recoil. I was laying on a slick plastic type mat shooting it one day. My buddy was watching and said every time I pulled the trigger the recoil pushed me back a couple of inches on the mat. And it did because I was constantly having to crawl back up on the mat. I regret getting rid of that rifle.

I've only owned 1 .300WM. It was a Colt Light Rifle I owned for a while in the mid-2000s. And it was light. Really light. 5.4 pounds, about 6.5 with the scope and rings I had on it. Great shooting rifle and was a real joy to shoot if you like LOTS of recoil. I was laying on a slick plastic type mat shooting it one day. My buddy was watching and said every time I pulled the trigger the recoil pushed me back a couple of inches on the mat. And it did because I was constantly having to crawl back up on the mat. I regret getting rid of that rifle.
It was just letting you know you were still alive

That’s why we have muzzle brakes and cans now. Helps keep us firmly planted while shooting

I know a good muzzle brake for that rifle. Ask @rockchalk06 he heard it. Truthfully it really works great. Makes a 6.5 fill like a 223 bolt.

1708524077421.jpeg

That Area 419 I had on my .300 PRC would tame that rifle down to almost nothing. Loved it, but I was deaf afterwards and the guys next to me were plotting my demise.

When a guy sets up next to me with a can on, I know it's going to be a pleasant shoot!

Found this today and thought it looked like it wanted to live with me. Bergara b14 ridge wilderness in 300 win mag. Never owned this caliber before. I have shot a friends Browning quite a bit. Rifle is used. Guy thought he put maybe 25 rounds through it. Came with 20 rounds of Barnes tipped bullets. Gotta get a base, rings and optic for it to see if I like it.
View attachment 3669View attachment 3670View attachment 3671
This is the rifle/caliber I’d been wanting, but got a deal I couldn’t pass on my savage. I’m not disappointed in the savage, but I still kinda want one of these too. The stock accu brake on mine is loud AF, but it works wonders on mitigating recoil. It’s very pleasant to shoot. I hope yours is a shooter and you enjoy the piss out of that thing.

That’s why we have muzzle brakes and cans now. Helps keep us firmly planted while shooting

It didn't bother me enough for a brake. I also had a lightweight Winchester 70 in .338WM. That one definitely got a brake. I last hunted with that gun around 1997 or thereabouts. Recoil doesn't bother me a lot but I for sure have my limits.

One of my dad’s friends came by the house twenty-five or so years ago and was selling a couple of rifles to raise some money. I bought his Ruger No. 1 in .300 Win mag off of him. I took it out to see what it was like, holding on like it was getting ready to maul me. I was pleasantly surprised. I probably ran a box through it and it really didn’t seem too over the top on recoil. Haven’t shot it in well over twenty years. I’d sell it but it’s just kind of a neat classy looking rifle. It’s turning that plum color on the action that only time puts on a gun.

It didn't bother me enough for a brake. I also had a lightweight Winchester 70 in .338WM. That one definitely got a brake. I last hunted with that gun around 1997 or thereabouts. Recoil doesn't bother me a lot but I for sure have my limits.
A light weight 338 Win Mag’s recoil could be used to drive T-posts

I’ve shot a 10 gauge 3 1/2” BB’s in an almost vertical position and felt like I was being pile driven. It wasn’t too much for fun times to me. My friends got a kick out of it though.
Was that the Ithaca Mag-10? I used to hunt with one of those and I know what you're talking about.

I’ve shot a 10 gauge 3 1/2” BB’s in an almost vertical position and felt like I was being pile driven. It wasn’t too much for fun times to me. My friends got a kick out of it though.
Brings back memories of the firing line at Quivira! Never a 10, but a 12 3.5" and T's Dad made fun of me for that until he died lol