What's new

Load development in the wind

Kwaynem

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fren
Do you all wait for calm days to shoot for groups? How do you all do it?

if wind can blow them apart wind can blow them together. Wait for a calm day to test groups. At least I do. 5 to 10 is good. 0 is best. stay away from gusty winds.

I was thinking about this a couple of days ago myself when I was zeroing a scope. It was a pretty windy day, and I knew that I should wait. Here’s what I can’t really wrap my mind around. How can a 10-15 mph wind have an affect on a bullet traveling over 3000 fps?

How can a 10-15 mph wind have an affect on a bullet traveling over 3000 fps?
Same way a 25mph gust can knock my 250lb ass over or it pushes your car across the road.

The BC of the projo will affect how much drag and performance in the wind but the bullet will always experience wind drift.

If you’re zeroing, try to do it on a calm-ish day but if you’re shooting groups, then wind isn’t so bad depending on the speed (steady and no gusting).

You measure groups in the vertical anyway and not the horizontal. Horizontal almost always reflects environmental effects and shooter error, so we don’t measure group size in the horizontal. I bet that starts an expert shit storm.

Get a couple of Bryan Litz’s books on it. Very dry and boring but it’ll turn on the lightbulb.

Last edited:
Same way a 25mph gust can knock my 250lb ass over or it pushes your car across the road.

The BC of the projo will affect how much drag and performance in the wind but the bullet will always experience wind drift.

If you’re zeroing, try to do it on a calm-ish day but if you’re shooting groups, then wind isn’t so bad depending on the speed (steady and no gusting).

You measure groups in the vertical anyway and not the horizontal. Horizontal is almost always reflect environmental effects and shooter error, so we don’t measure group size in the horizontal. I bet that starts an expert shit storm.

Get a couple of Bryan Litz’s books on it. Very dry and boring but it’ll turn on the lightbulb.
Thanks for the info. I know wind will affect a projectile, but it’s something that I can’t wrap my mind around completely. I’ll check out the books because it is something that I’d like to learn more about. Maybe, you can come over and explain it in a way that gets through my thick skull. Now, let’s hear from all the experts on shooting groups. Are the groups only measured vertically?

World record benchrest shooter.

I couldn’t understand a word he was saying

I couldn’t understand a word he was saying
Look up Jack Neary. That was the first video I came across where he talks about groups that have virtual and horizontal strings. You want round groups. Jack has a lot of good info about reading groups.

I try to shoot in all conditions. This is a 9 shot string fired at 300 yards in a ~25-30 mph FV wind. My drift was 13 to 16 inches (1.3 to 1.5 mils). I’m not concerned with the horizontal stringing only the vertical. I agree with @JEVapa. I’ve hunted on the high plains of Colorado where the wind was so bad I had to put my ear plugs in to keep from going crazy.

IMG_2725.jpeg

I’m just wanting to test a new load

You measure groups in the vertical anyway and not the horizontal. Horizontal almost always reflects environmental effects and shooter error, so we don’t measure group size in the horizontal. I bet that starts an expert shit storm.
Anyone starts flinging poo about it, is raising their hands saying "I don't know nothin about nothin, but I'm hear to karen" 😉