What's new

Rear bags

JEVapa

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fren
I'm gonna keep all this gibberish in this forum vs the "Precision" and "Competition" forums. More applicable.

I see people, even when I'm doing my BD thing, using all kinds of rear bags. From big blocks to the heavy V bags, and "C" shape bags, etc. You name a shape and weight, there's probably a bag that fits it. They all have a discipline/purpose they're made for and the various reasons for "better" bags are only limited to someone's sales pitch and belief.

My take on rear bags:
You have to have some kind of stabilizing platform to accurately mil targets and get "precise" holds. That doesn't mean you have to have a bipod and rear bag or a sandbagged weapon, but it might mean using a prone sling supported position, or a log, or whatever. It shouldn't be limited to a bipod and rear bag, but those make it easier. If it doesn't hinder you in any way, then use it. If it's an endurance event hauling your heavy ass shit around, it might be good to think about some other way. Do what fits your needs best.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That said, I'm only talking about rear bags for this topic, from my POV and experience, not bipods and tripods and other stuff. The reason for the post is I watched a guy talk about the importance and requirement of a rear bag, and his rear bag choices for like 15 mins or more. I was amazed that many megabytes or even gigglebytes could be expended on a bean bag. lol

When I went to shooting skool in 2002, there were no such thing as "rear bags" in the context we see now. Yes, there were rear bags, but they were big and heavy, and usually leather or thick double layer cordura, and used for competition and whatever. I don't even think they were called "rear bags". The small sleek ones you see now were not really a thing. Not saying they didn't exist, but not prolific like they are now. So, to use a rear bag, meant you had to carry around some 2-3lb leather V-shaped platform from Sinclair or some other shooting supplier. Carrying heavy shit in the woods is fine but if one can get rid of 2-3lbs of dead weight, then it's gonna be gone.

Enter the Sand Sock. This invention is actually pretty old and has been in use for a long, long time before people started selling little sandbags and Cgrip happy socks and stuff. We'd take an old pair of our Army wool socks, fill it with sand (not all the way), and tie it off. The other sock was doubled over it so you don't get sand everywhere. These would be filled with everything from sand to pea gravel, to small rocks, to polybeads. Sometimes dudes would just sew a sock with polybeads. Maybe even take an old ammo pouch and fill it and sew the end up. Voila! rear bag. Sometimes you just take the socks, fill it onsite, then dump them after you're done so you're not packing in or out even a 1/2 lb of dead weight. A lot of times, there would be no bag/sock, we'd just use a gloved hand on the stock.

About the same time, you started seeing a lot more "practical" shooting with local "Sniper" competitions and things like that, and you also started seeing sand socks being made commercially; each year you see more and more until they're everywhere and, to @KurtM 's point, it's almost like nobody can shoot anymore without a bipod and a rear bag. We'd comment that whoever commercializes the sand sock is gonna make money. JFYI, Accuracy 1st has been making poly filled sandbags since 2003 and my buddy ordered some poly filled cordura block from some startup company in A-stan in 2005 and I had an old ass sock stuffed in a ruck pocket. It was on after that...just like muzzle devices, everybody copies everybody else's shit every couple of years, rinse repeat.

For zeroing and testing or shooting groups, I use a Vblock with an Accuracy 1st sandbag. Outside of that, I have no need for any heavy shit. It's impractical IMO. When I'm just shooting generally I just use the sandbag...I throw it in the range bag or the gun case. I'm not gonna haul a 2 lb block around. The sandbag is simple, lightweight, effective, and conforms to pretty much any shape and I can take it anywhere. I'll make a sock sometimes too for the same reasons, especially if I forget to throw the sandbag in my kit. I don't do F class or PRS or any other competition discipline, so I don't have any need for additional rear widgetry. Even if I don't have a bipod, it's nice to have that little sandbag to lay the rifle on and it fits in one of my smock pockets. If I don't have any of that, I still have a sling and I still have a jacket/pack/hat/glove or whatever. Make do.

My main requirements (not someone else's) for a rear sandbag/sock is that it's at least 6" x 4" and has enough fill to move the stock up a couple inches when I squeeze it and drop a couple inches when I relax, but also conform to most any shape. It should be about like holding a beer can and be light weight and have a loop on a corner. It can't have precut shapes in it like U's, C's, V's, X's or any other alphabet animal cracker shape. Just a simple rectangle pillow looking thing. Or a wool Army sock.

Last edited:
Nice write up sir!

One thing I've heard from several top shooters is, find one bag that works and stick with it. No need for 8-10 different bags.

I have a heavy ass fortune cookie I use for the bench when I need to get as stable of a shooting platform that I can. I can literally pound the stock into the bag to lock it in. Thing weights like 9 pounds, so it's a for grouping or load development only bag.

Everything else including hunting, I use a Squishy bag. Essentially your sock, just with a strap. I prefer it as I can use it as a rest when hunting and it sticks to the gun. Light at about a pound/half.
1723058178023.png

I like air bags because they are light...

What is the farthest unobstructed shot in that picture? Looks like the feeder is around 35-40 yards?
The only time that I use sandbags is when sighting a rifle in. They are old shot bags filled with sand. I detest putting any kind of bipod down on a hard surface like a concrete bench. I have never used a bipod on a hunting rifle, outside of my Prairie dog rifle. I can honestly say I have never used a rear bag in the field and use a day pack instead of a bipod and just use my left hand place of a rear bag. When I lived in Colorado I spent countless hours hiking in rock slides above timberline shooting Rock Chucks and was very good at contorted positions over a day pack in the 100-500 yard range (the "play" from the mil thread) used a Mark IV M3 with a nice bolt 308 I built up. For Prairie dogs I used a bipod because the ground was soft and there weren't rocks to rest a pack on😁

What is the farthest unobstructed shot in that picture? Looks like the feeder is around 35-40 yards?
I started the morning with this rifle prone on a dry creek bed with known distances (active trails) 150-700 yards. Didn't see any movement, so I switched to a tree. I now have a 16" suppressed .30-30 for this very shot next season.

Damn I'm lazy,

for bench/table shooting I used couple of old pant legs filled with dirt & tied ends. (Only need two)

Then way bit off topic.

I built a sled out of scrap 2x4's, a door hinge & several nuts & shoulder bolts.

Then got real lazy tired of carrying to much shit just to shoot a bit and just used bipod on forend and my off hand under buttstock if needed.

Course got a varmint stock on my heavyasfuckinghell varmint/whateverelse rifle, it's got a bipod on forestock and an twist adjustable leveler on the buttstock.

Last edited:
When I was a kid my uncle showed me how when he was one of the actively misguided children they would take a leg off an old pickle suit and make up a bunch of loose sand sacks about the size of a beer can in the riggers loft. It was open so you didn’t have to tote it filled and had paracord to tie off when filled. Soybeans or rice are great if they’re handy. You just squeeze or relax your grip for elevation adjustments. Same same as the OP. Ruck front support and the ALICE has all sorts of terrain if you need a forearm notch for stability. I was never a fan of laying my fore end on anything that would gouge the shit out of it on recoil, but a hat or palm on bark with thumb extended generally works well when standing as applicable. Never owned a bipod until my twenties and only used it on a bench, but some of my recent launchers weigh a metric freaking ton and I can’t just offhand them so…

When I was a kid my uncle showed me how when he was one of the actively misguided children they would take a leg off an old pickle suit and make up a bunch of loose sand sacks about the size of a beer can in the riggers loft. It was open so you didn’t have to tote it filled and had paracord to tie off when filled. Soybeans or rice are great if they’re handy. You just squeeze or relax your grip for elevation adjustments. Same same as the OP. Ruck front support and the ALICE has all sorts of terrain if you need a forearm notch for stability. I was never a fan of laying my fore end on anything that would gouge the shit out of it on recoil, but a hat or palm on bark with thumb extended generally works well when standing as applicable. Never owned a bipod until my twenties and only used it on a bench, but some of my recent launchers weigh a metric freaking ton and I can’t just offhand them so…
I grew up for long shots leaning forestock on tree, limbs, rails, door sill, shoulder persons next to you etc.

Sometimes in clearing & fields etc. using sling kneel with elbow on knee, or lay down.

Pop's taught us lots of shit he knew, learned when he was a kid on up through the army for shooting & hitting stuff a very long ways away, with open sights,

he didn't start using a scope till his late 40s.

Same thing with shooting pool, poker, dominoes, spades, gin, bridge etc.

Course he always let us win, which was cool when we was kids,

But as we got older and noticed shit, it pissed us off.

Was bout 19yo shooting pool in h&h pool hall, doing decent,

Pop's came in says lets play one, we shoot 8 ball on snooker table,

he slacks shots, I win.

I told him quit fucking off, play real, he says ok,

Goddamnit fuckmefunny, he ran through 9 racks before he edge missed a pocket on a 2 bank shot, I dropped 4 them missed.

He cleaned table, put stick up & says I'm go back here make some money, keep playing, next time you'll win.

Which pretty much told me I needed lots more practice.

He went back played gin & bridge, them old fuckers played for up to several grand a game.

I’m lazy. I use a T&E mount