What's new

"Thumper" 1 year anniversary. What's your magnum rig?

rockchalk06

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Staff member
Administrator
Fren
One year ago today, I picked up my .300 PRC. I love this rig. Before my can was paroled, I ran the Sidewinder break on it and it recoiled less than a .308. Now it kicks the dog shit out of you, but it's a thump that feels oddly satisfying :devilish:

I'm sending a 230 grain A-Tip out the muzzle at 2840. It was still pushing almost 1800 at 1000 yards.

What's your magnum rig?
1706021256465.png

I thought I had a better pic, but I looked thru way too many and this is what I could come up with. It’s a bone stock (except a timney trigger) rem 700 rmef edition in 300RUM. It was my dads. I shot and hunted it for longer than I should have for that reason, but it really is too much. I don’t know what Burris is on it in that pic , but it’s not near the scope the “older” Burris I replaced it for was. It’s shoots right, but it’s pretty damn brutal. It likes hornady “trophy” 180gr accubonds pretty well, it liked the 180gr accubond “customs” better. IMG_0820.jpeg

We had a guy bring a RUM to the hunter sight in day at the Gun Club once. Everything was still in the box. After we got it all mounted, bore sighted and ready to go, guy didn't want to shoot it. Luckily it only took 4 rounds and had him with a 100 yard zero. It was like getting donkey kicked. I want to say a 700 as well? It was light weight with no break.

He came back the next year with a '06. Told me he fired one round, killed a cow elk and put the thing back into the safe. Said he needed to stop listening to guys at work on what to buy

We had a guy bring a RUM to the hunter sight in day at the Gun Club once. Everything was still in the box. After we got it all mounted, bore sighted and ready to go, guy didn't want to shoot it. Luckily it only took 4 rounds and had him with a 100 yard zero. It was like getting donkey kicked. I want to say a 700 as well? It was light weight with no break.

He came back the next year with a '06. Told me he fired one round, killed a cow elk and put the thing back into the safe. Said he needed to stop listening to guys at work on what to buy

My buddy used his dads to shoot a coyote. I thought to myself that was a pretty expensive coyote.

Ha. I don’t blame that guy one bit. He had more sense than I did. Shooting it in the field never really bothered me, but shooting it from a bench was another animal. I ran its numbers through a recoil calculator and came up with 79ft/lbs. I could’ve bought a couple new rifles with what I spent on ammo too.

I’ve shot a couple handfuls of really expensive coyotes with it. It does the job.

Ha. I don’t blame that guy one bit. He had more sense than I did. Shooting it in the field never really bothered me, but shooting it from a bench was another animal. I ran its numbers through a recoil calculator and came up with 79ft/lbs. I could’ve bought a couple new rifles with what I spent on ammo too.

I’ve shot a couple handfuls of really expensive coyotes with it. It does the job.
This was a good podcast about it

Can short mags play?

GA Precision built Winchester Mdl 70 7WSM in a Manners T3 stock with a Loggerhead cheek riser and 26” MTU Bartlein barrel with a Vortex Razor HD. When she was young I could send a 180 grain Berger down range at over 3,000fps but now I’m about 2,906fps. She will still put five out of five on an 8” plate at 1,000 yards once I get the wind worked out. I’ve taken her to 1,500 yards on a 24” disk and attempted one mile but the wind kicked my butt (a lot of things happen in a 3 second flight time). And yes, she‘s a bit heavy at around 19 pounds.

The Nike thing is my wrist coach with my ballistic data

IMG_1857.jpeg
My bench where I did all my range work, data collection at the farm.

IMG_0003.jpeg