What's new

338 ARC from Hornady

rockchalk06

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Staff member
Administrator
Fren

Not sure why Hornady didn't just get behind the 8.6 Blackout and pimp it. Obviously this will fit into a standard AR platform, so that is a big plus for shooters. I'm not feeling this round. Anything new to the market is always good for us as shooters, but this will probably just be cool to watch some YouTube videos for me and that will be it.

I like it fits in AR size action. I think that opens it up to alot more people, and makes alot of sense when you don't need the case capacity to go fast.

I'm still intrigued by either....but would want it in an inexpensive bolt gun (cough Ruger American).

More $$ for the same thing. Don’t worry, there will be another one in about 6 months or so

I like it fits in AR size action. I think that opens it up to alot more people, and makes alot of sense when you don't need the case capacity to go fast.

I'm still intrigued by either....but would want it in an inexpensive bolt gun (cough Ruger American).
That is where my mind went.

I've sorta wondered why no one ever made a 7.62X39 AI (ackley improved) style round and chambered ar barrel for it.

I'm pretty sure a modified and/or even a regular ar style mag could then be used instead of a banana ak47 style mag since being "ackley improved" the taper would be blown out of the case.

We'd have an ar15 chambered in 7.62x39 American.

Ak47 is the highest produced battle rifle in history so the 7.62x39 round most likely has the highest kill count of any round ever produced.

Plus the poachers in africa have killed every kind of animals, including elephants with it.

Last edited:
this is dumb and smart. The dumb is that you have to use a modified ar15 bolt. It doesn’t have the meet on it like a regular one. Low pressures.
The smart is that it will fit into a standard ar15 and mags. Plus who ever shoots it will have to go out and get a new bolt for there rifle. At that point they can push the arc cartridge as much as they want.
I’m kind of for the arc cartridge which is the 762x39 bolt face. Just not in a ar15 platform. But your choice.

this is dumb and smart. The dumb is that you have to use a modified ar15 bolt. It doesn’t have the meet on it like a regular one. Low pressures.
The smart is that it will fit into a standard ar15 and mags. Plus who ever shoots it will have to go out and get a new bolt for there rifle. At that point they can push the arc cartridge as much as they want.
I’m kind of for the arc cartridge which is the 762x39 bolt face. Just not in a ar15 platform. But your choice.
They said that it will use the same bolt as the 22 and 6 ARC, so you current ARC bolt guys will not need a new one. I have to give them credit for that. They could have made it use a new bolt and sold them as well

I've sorta wondered why no one ever made a 7.62X39 AI (ackley improved) style round and chambered ar barrel for it.

I'm pretty sure a modified and/or even a regular ar style mag could then be used instead of a banana ak47 style mag since being "ackley improved" the taper would be blown out of the case.

We'd have an ar15 chambered in 7.62x39 American.

Ak47 is the highest produced battle rifle in history so the 7.62x39 round most likely has the highest kill count of any round ever produced.

Plus the poachers in africa have killed every kind of animals, including elephants with it.
You think that is why no one has spent the time to roll one out? I've always wondered that myself. I've heard claims that the round sucks accuracy wise, but that wasn't my experience with the Ruger American I loaded for. Accuracy wasn't match, but it was decent

Some older Ruger's ranch have the multi size bore, starts out at chamber side a .310 and constricts to .308 on muzzle side.

iirc Aks have a .309 to .311 bore and the forigen ammo manufacture uses those size bullets, afaik hornaday makes a 125gr .310 or .311 bullet.

As for accuracy all ive ever shot 762x39 through are sks & ak style rifles ive had and a couple of rugers that belonged to other people.

They were all pretty much equal to open sighted 30-30 rifles accuracy ive owned

An Ackley Improved has a 40* shoulder angle. Could this cause feeding issues?

Was just thinking........................

7.62x39 AI loaded with 123 to 140gr .308" bullets.

If it's like other ackley improved cartridges then fps will increase a few hundred or so fps since powder charge weights are increased.

ie. in a typical 16" barrel firing a 123gr 7.62x39 is approx 2300 to 2400fps.

a ackley improved version with increased powder charge weight may be 2500 to 2700fps give or take.

An Ackley Improved has a 40* shoulder angle. Could this cause feeding issues?
idk if the angle ever been standardized, I'd read that depending on whom cut the chamber reamer the angles could vary as much as +/-5*.

afaik there been 223ai ars,

I'm sure the feed ramp, mag lips & bolt breach face/ring would need a bit of tweekin'.

reading some gunmag years back it had a m1 garand that was in 3006ai, it just wasn't loaded up to the ai's full potential since it's a semi, not a bolt rifle.