What's new

6.5 Creedmoor Barnes 127 grain LRX and Reloader 16 Load Development

I have decided to abandon this bullet.

This morning I set up early. Temps in the 70's around 73°. Very close to Saturday's temps. Today's average was a full 15 FPS higher. Group was pretty horrible. I left hanging. Probably around 2" with 4 wild shots out of 15 fired. SD around 14 and ES over 25. Did not clean prior this grouping

I had 9 rounds left at 2.240" so I went home and seated them all to 2.230" and jumped them .075". This produced a sub 5 SD and a fairly decent 3 shot group. Same as above. Speeds about 15 FPS higher and all over the place. Maybe 1.5"

I took out my bore scope and made sure I didn't have a carbon ring or an excess copper build up causing this. Nothing seemed out of the norm for around 50 rounds since last clean. I had 60 rounds from my previous load I chrono'd at 92° using the 147 ELD-M's running 2680. 20 shots with a pause every 5 rounds to cool, put all 20 in a ragged 1" hole and a spread of 25 and SD of 8.3. That was about average for this load and 8 FPS slower at 73° v's the 92°. That matches up with my data I have with H4350.

I think I gave this bullet a fair shot and then some. Nothing ever repeated for me. Barnes published around 2850 with this in their factory stuff. I dropped down to those speeds and had worse results than I did with 2900-2915 range. Maybe I need to jump them further, but the further I've jumped, the harder the crunch and the less 95% case fill happens.

Maybe another 6.5 down the line, but for now, these are shelved. Just bought 300 Berger 140 Elite Hunters. I love this bullet as it is so much like loading the Hybrid Target. Seating Depth essentially just fine tunes the load and doesn't make or break it. I'm hoping to see around mid 28's from my Tikka.

Last edited: