What's new

Ever liquidate a caliber you loved?

HoLeChit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fren
If so, what was it? Do you regret it?

I have a pretty good collection of 762x39, to include a bunch of reloading supplies and tooling, and my well loved Ruger American ranch rifle/other rifles.

As I look at getting a can, I realize that the bullet options and subsonic options are limited, as well as no longer the cheap choice for plinking. So I have considered getting rid of the caliber and the firearms/reloading stuff, in favor of its ballistic cousin that lends itself well to being subsonic, the 300BO. Am I gonna hate myself?

Last edited:
Will you hate yourself though? I don’t know. If you seriously get set up reloading then 300blk is probably the better option. You can make brass from 5.56/.223 so that’s pretty fucking sweet. .30cal bullets are easy to come by if you don’t always need subsonic too.

I was going to get into the 300blk thing but shot it once and wasn’t that tickled by it so I got rid of the brass I had gotten (@rockchalk06) .

If I was using suppressors then yeah I’d go 300blk all day long. But between the two since I don’t use suppressors then it’s the x39 for me.

Will you hate yourself though? I don’t know. If you seriously get set up reloading then 300blk is probably the better option. You can make brass from 5.56/.223 so that’s pretty fucking sweet. .30cal bullets are easy to come by if you don’t always need subsonic too.

I was going to get into the 300blk thing but shot it once and wasn’t that tickled by it so I got rid of the brass I had gotten (@rockchalk06) .

If I was using suppressors then yeah I’d go 300blk all day long. But between the two since I don’t use suppressors then it’s the x39 for me.
Yeah, the cross compatibility with my existing 30ish stuff and 556 stuff is a big draw, as well as its use in my existing AR platforms. I’m just a barrel or upper away from having a 300BO rifle, which is real appealing.

7.62x39 is an end of world caliber. If you sell/trade the rifle, keep the components. I haven't decided to abandon 300 BO yet, but I still kept everything.

You'll come across a x39 down the road and fall in love with another one or someone will finally put forth some effort into make a good bullet for it, and have to take a mulligan.

I save every piece of x39 reloadable brass I find which isn't much.

For.perspective I have gotten rid of 30.06, .45 acp, .38/.357 but would never abandon 7.62x39. Backburner yes but abandon...no.

But I also keep .303 and .380 so I may just be a retard.

I also think the AKs and SKSs will still be running long after the ARs burst their gas tubes.

I have never seen a gas tube "burst". Not ever, nor have I ever heard of anyone that has, so as they say, pictures or it didn't happen. Now I have seen them sag from sustained full auto mag dumps and that will make THEM stop running. I also have personal experience with trying to hold an AK while the forearm is on fire from multiple mag dumps, which will cause YOU to stop running it😁

For.perspective I have gotten rid of 30.06, .45 acp, .38/.357 but would never abandon 7.62x39. Backburner yes but abandon...no.

But I also keep .303 and .380 so I may just be a retard.

I also think the AKs and SKSs will still be running long after the ARs burst their gas tubes.
If the world goes to shit and turns into a big ol shooting match I doubt many involved will be alive long enough to cause wear related failures on any quality firearms we own.

I got rid of plenty of ak's, but kept a few & lots of mags jic.

Ammo's most likely not ever going to be $70/case delivered again, but maybe imports will again be bulk and an American ammo company may produce an affordable product.

I also have personal experience with trying to hold an AK while the forearm is on fire from multiple mag dumps, which will cause YOU to stop running it😁
Whom does own an ak or three that hasn't loaded up all their mags then fired it up like a mile long string of blackcats that hasn't turned the foregrip all black & crispy like overcooked brisket.

Besides an ak is the most reliable battle rifle ever made for the last 70+ years or it wouldn't still be produced & primarily used so much worldwide

hahahaha! made me gut laugh