What's new

First Browning Rifle for me. X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed

rockchalk06

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Staff member
Administrator
Fren
Pulled off a really good trade today. Picked up a used (47 rounds fired) Hells Canyon Speed in .3OHate today.
20240120_115835.jpg

60° bolt throw is new to me. Kinda nice. Has a tri lug bolt as well
signal-2024-01-20-12-16-02-006.jpg

Very smooth action. Adjusted the trigger down about as far as it could go. Maybe 4ish pounds? I like 4-5 for a hunting rig.

Action is factory bedded and tight!
signal-2024-01-20-12-19-21-103.jpg
signal-2024-01-20-12-19-12-607.jpg

Barrel free floated too
signal-2024-01-20-12-38-34-998.jpg

Only negative so far is the threading. I'll need a coupler to use my can or switch out the insert in my can.

Attachments

• signal-2024-01-20-12-38-34-998.jpg
    signal-2024-01-20-12-38-34-998.jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 0
Found a converter from Hughes Precision LLC along with a thread procter protector to run my can on it. Wasn't too bad. Less than 40 bucks

Last edited:
That’s a nice rifle always wanted a hells canyon BIL has one

You will love that thing. If the stock starts getting sticky there was a recall on the Dura-Touch coating. I have one of the older plain x bolts and never had a problem so there's that.

I was looking at one of those browning the other day. I noticed the bolt and action looked familiar. Ruger American and Browning almost have the same action designs. Just thought that was interesting. Nice rifle.

The bolt lug system looks identical to me

look at the back of the bolt. both have a Cocking tang, 3 lug bolt, tang safety, side bolt release. The browning is better built. @rockchalk06 needs to show us the trigger just to see how closely it’s the same.

I was talking to a guy about the tika tx3 and he said other than the action they were pretty much the same as the Ruger American I have no idea I have never held a tika but I bet they are more accurate

I was talking to a guy about the tika tx3 and he said other than the action they were pretty much the same as the Ruger American I have no idea I have never held a tika but I bet they are more accurate

Definitely not the same 🤣

Well I met a pro PRS shooter that has a tika. I would go out on a limb and say they are probably right. Unless he is somehow sponsored by them.

edit: I mean more accurate then the ruger American

You will love that thing. If the stock starts getting sticky there was a recall on the Dura-Touch coating. I have one of the older plain x bolts and never had a problem so there's that.
Thank you I will keep that in mind if it does. It will be getting some range time in all conditions, so if it does, it should show.
I think those Browning Canyons are cool and good looking riffles.
I agree. I'm impressed with the mounting system on the receiver. 4 bolts per ring is pretty secure. It's a 3OHate, so shouldn't be any hard recoil, but it looks way over built. I like that

Definitely not the same 🤣
Ya, Tikka is Finland and built like tanks. Aside from custom, I've never felt a smoother more robust action. My HMR Pro's are almost a custom rig and my Tikka hits way above that. 1600 on the HMR, vs 1400 on the Tikka.

With the stock off. We know you got a gold trigger. 🤣

Well I met a pro PRS shooter that has a tika. I would go out on a limb and say they are probably right. Unless he is somehow sponsored by them.

edit: I mean more accurate then the ruger American
My T3X Veil is the most accurate rifle I own. It out shoots my HMR and that sucker pulled off a 4.9" 1000 yard group. I really need to shoot it past 545 and see what it does. Just never have as I have no plans to kill a deer past 600 with a 6.5 🤣