What's new

GI mags

JEVapa

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fren
I have a bunch of GI mags that I use a lot, mostly use them for testing so they sit in a milk crate or bucket. But, I do have a bunch that i shoot at for everyday; you can't beat'em. Anyway, if I don't put a MP bumper or ranger plate on them, I set them up old school with 100mph tape and 550 cord. The original magpuls (that where they got their name from) mimicked this. You have a loop of 550 cord and a good sized strip of 100mph tape wrapped around the bottom.

The loop does two things, 1. It gives you something to pull the mag out with 2. It gives you something to snaplink your mags to. Back in the day, we didn't have dump pouches. We had butt packs (usually had chow and a cho liner in it) and snap links on our kit. Snap links were used for everything. Dump pouches became a thing in the 2000s.

The tape does two things: 1. It gives you some spare 100mph tape to use...you use it on everything. 2. You pull it super tight when your put it on to hold the shape of the mag. Reason: When you drop a full mag on a hard surface, the body deforms (temporary) enough to pop the bottom plate out and bullets shoot all over the place. The tape helps keep it intact. The original magpuls were fairly good but you couldn't snap link them to your kit when empty and you'd have to modify them to do so. Modern GI mags are pretty good now...better materials and springs and better aluminum. But I have still dropped a full mag on a rock at the farm and sure enough bullets shot out all over the place.

How To:
Remove guts and cut 550 to about 6.75-7" and melt ends. Tie half hitch on each end. This will make them about 6" with knots.

1.jpg

Pop baseplate - only halfway.

2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Insert 550 cord - put the knots under the spring and fold down to hold tension while you slide baseplate back into position

5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

Last edited:
Then tape the bottom. Pull off a strip of about 1-1.2 feet. Make the edge kinda close and parallel to the bottom. Stick it enough to wrap evenly and really tight around the bottom of the mag.

9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg

Then load them and stash them somewhere or something. 18 30 rd mags fit in an M2 can.

IMG_1640 - Copy.jpg

Nice post. I remember setting up our mags that way at the 302nd SP squadron at Peterson. I spent quite a bit of my time out at Falcon Air Force Base (gives you an idea of how far back that goes) doing a lot of air base ground defense stuff, land nav and other basic Army type stuff. Most all of which I've forgotten until some random thing I do knocks a memory loose.

Add: I've lately started using my GI mags more and more over the PMags I have. Don't know why but I've got to where I almost prefer them. Part of it has to do with the mag loader I use, I guess.

Does anyone produce good aluminum or steel mags for the bigger brother platform? Polymer in a large enough quantity becomes discomfiting…

Does anyone produce good aluminum or steel mags for the bigger brother platform? Polymer in a large enough quantity becomes discomfiting…
DPMS, KAC, and Larue

Duramags are probably good but I’ve never used their 308 mags.

Forgot about DH too.

Last edited:
When you say GI mags are just referring to the standard metal mags? Or is there a specific brand you like

NHMTG is another GI mag maker that's good to go. At least in my experience. I have some old Parsons GI mags, too...another US contractor from 70's or 80s, I think.

I have some mags that still have "Ranger" plates on them. Also have some Brownell's mags with the Magpul "L" plates. Fun fact: I was one of the first Magpul dealers in CO way back around 2001-ish. Never did much business with them, though, and they were really slow to introduce their new stuff. I sold my shop just a couple of years after the PMags came out and before they got wildly popular. That was back when CO was a cool place to live...before the commies took over.

1716071725421.jpeg 1716071760321.jpeg

Brownell's made a curved 20-round mag some time ago, too. I think D&H still makes these.

1716072316402.jpeg

Something else from the "way back" files. Mags were put in these little baggies during the Vietnam war. In theory, GIs would tear the baggie off their mags and drop the plastic baggie. The writing on the mags promises safe passage to any enemy soldier:

1716072370976.jpeg

NHMTG is another GI mag maker that's good to go. At least in my experience. I have some old Parsons GI mags, too...another US contractor from 70's or 80s, I think.

I have some mags that still have "Ranger" plates on them. Also have some Brownell's mags with the Magpul "L" plates. Fun fact: I was one of the first Magpul dealers in CO way back around 2001-ish. Never did much business with them, though, and they were really slow to introduce their new stuff. I sold my shop just a couple of years after the PMags came out and before they got wildly popular. That was back when CO was a cool place to live...before the commies took over.

View attachment 5286 View attachment 5287

Brownell's made a curved 20-round mag some time ago, too. I think D&H still makes these.

View attachment 5288

Something else from the "way back" files. Mags were put in these little baggies during the Vietnam war. In theory, GIs would tear the baggie off their mags and drop the plastic baggie. The writing on the mags promises safe passage to any enemy soldier:

View attachment 5289
Did they up hold the safe passage? Thats cool never heard of it

Was a brand that Okay Industries was a CM for. I have a few of those and they're just like the old 20 rounders. They went out of business awhile back and turned they're stuff into Okay Surefeeds. Now they're gone. Okay was also a CM for Colt. At least all the Colt's I have. I guess Colt had several CMs if you do a search.

What I didn't know until recently was Brownells is a contractor and has been for awhile.

6P199 - Center
33710 - Okay, Colt
12238 - Brownells

They're mine. I don't think the mags are old enough to be VN era, but the bags are real. I don't remember when or where I got them but you can find them easily enough online. They're called "Chieu Hoi" bags. This link to an eBay listing has a little information:

My uncle was telling me that when they took his beloved M14 away they gave him a Colt in its place. The aluminum mags were supposed to be disposable. This is hearsay, but he said they were instructed to empty the mag and then stomp them flat to keep Charlie from repurposing them. Seems like most of the time when you’re busy emptying mags in a triple canopy jungle, the fandango might be far from the top of the list of things to do.