What's new

Pistol shooting

Kwaynem

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fren
I reloaded a couple hundred rounds of 9mm and figured I needed to do some pistol training because I never have I know stupid on my part but I’m trying to do better. I dry fire practice quite a bit but like I said not live fire I’m left handed and my shots at about 10 yards were low and right I figured I was pushing it right on the trigger and was correct fixed that problem but I would get my poi to come up then start shooting low again a couple inches am I anticipating the shot? Not tight enough grip?

Grip.......hahahaha.

I'm no expert pistol shooter, but my grip whether dry fire practice or actual live fire for draw, aim, fire is the same.

I'm weaver style grip with both semi & revolver.

It's always 20% dominant hand, 80% non-dominant hand grip and trigger position on my finger is same on rifle, shotgun & pistol in-between the tip & pad.

Dry fire practice a lot & be consistent, consistency carries over when live fire.

it's repetitious muscle memory, if you're inconsistent in dry fire practice, you will be inconsistent in live fire.

I agree with about 70% of what Pat Mac says, especially about "stance". Don't agree with "clam shell" and "tilting support hand". I find it funny when folks use terms wrong or don't quite grasp the meaning of the words they try to use, but in general good stuff!
As for trigger finger placement, or control. Both are trying to make a point, but kind of drop the ball on it. Both have large hands, so for them wrapping around works, but not all can. Trigger finger placement is where ever you can press the trigger straight to the rear of the pistol with no side to side movement. It is a very bad idea to drag your finger on the frame of the pistol a la wrap around, and it will show up quickly if you start shooting fast. Sure get rid of the gap if that works for your hand size, but both forget to say don't drag the frame. I don't like his "presentation" as he demos it as his hands meet way to late, and says to build the grip as it goes toward the target. That should have been done when hands first meet and he is late with his support hand, but I didn't watch his lesson on it, it is just what I saw from his two demos posted.

IMG_20240909_190824-1.jpg
Me,

right where the dot is, is where center of trigger touches.