What's new

Rifles on display and in the field

Just when you thought you had seen every variation of AR-15 "failures" something new comes a long! That this part survived one bolt lock is amazing, but it is in a rifle that is 17 years old and on its third barrel.

Attachments

• KIMG1027.JPG
    KIMG1027.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • KIMG1026.JPG
    KIMG1026.JPG
    576.6 KB · Views: 19
Just when you thought you had seen every variation of AR-15 "failures" something new comes a long! That this part survived one bolt lock is amazing, but it is in a rifle that is 17 years old and on its third barrel.
Should have bought a mini14.

That hollow spot isn’t supposed to be there, is it?

Save that part for metallurgical analysis. If you had a solid piece of that it might be a multi-generational heirloom.

Well, unlike a Mini, I don't have to send it back to the factory for the $6.00 part, and no that hollow isn't supposed to be there, and besides it runs just fine without that $6.00 part, just don't expect the bolt to lock back on empty! If it was a Mini it would be down for 6 months and the part would be 27.95!

I haven't seen them break there before. I have seen a couple break between the roll pin hole and the stop, but they were kinda cheap and maybe only lasted a couple thousand rounds at the most.
It looks a little stretched.

No, when you put the parts back together they look just fine, no stretch. It was a GI part/mil spec. So for all you thinking that is a magical thing...just remember...lowest bidder! 😁

No, when you put the parts back together they look just fine, no stretch. It was a GI part/mil spec. So for all you thinking that is a magical thing...just remember...lowest bidder! 😁
I don't think ill of it unless it was a thousand rounds or something. How many rounds? I bet it went way past its service life.

Service life??? Of a bolt stop??? I'd love to see the T.O.E. that lists that!!🤣🤣🤣 and I can see the look on a Snuffie's face when the Gunny asked how many lock backs are on your bolt stop private?🤣🤣🤣🤣

Service life??? Of a bolt stop??? I'd love to see the T.O.E. that lists that!!🤣🤣🤣 and I can see the look on a Snuffie's face when the Gunny asked how many lock backs are on your bolt stop private?🤣🤣🤣🤣

Well I know from now on, when I buy a used rifle, I'm gonna ask, "How many rounds thru it AND how many bolt locks"?

Not like that, nor to be taken literally like a service life of a part, more like the service life of a rifle. But you know what I mean, you’re just being silly. Now you got Corgi rancher being silly too.
Those (rifles) have inspection intervals. It would an inspection after whatever number of rounds at whatever interval specified by 3 or 4 level maintenance. Cracks, holes, gouges, excessive wear, time, etc. At some point in time, it’ll get DRMO’d or stripped and rebuilt regardless. At Crane, I’ve seen them strip everything and replace it if several parts have excessive wear regardless of how well it functions.

Last edited:
I'm just having fun with the thought, I didn't get the memo that it was literal Friday
Yes I know what you meant, but you got to admit the visual would be funny, and the service life comment on a bolt stop was merely the catalyst. I will now slink away..... It is obvious that I found this whole thing amusing, from finding all the part mixed in with the brass and gravel at the range, which was almost amazing as the vug in the casting not breaking much earlier in it's "service life", to the fact I actually had a spare bolt stop and when I opened my parts box it was sitting on top of everything else, almost like it knew that that day the other one would break. I was amazed that I found the spring AND the plunger. So in the long run I was quite happy and not even a little miffed that it broke.....like I said, just when you think you've seen it all.
Now back to literal Friday for you!😄😅😂🤣

I haven't seen a FMD in a while! How retro!

The guy I bought it from actually put that on there. This started life as a standard LE6920. I sold it to him and he did the SOCOM clone work to it with the Knight's RAS/VFG and the Matech BUIS. I'm not sure where he got the UID from but I did find this place: