What's new

Sighting in a rifle with a skinny barrel

Kwaynem

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fren
I know most you guys shoot heavy barrels for long range but I have a Christensen Mesa with a light barrel do I need to let it cool completely off before shooting again? I know by the 3rd shot it’s already starting to open up the group

I'd think you'd want to let it cool completely to keep it consistent.

I have a pencil barrel Model 70 30.06 that I rarely shoot because it walks all over the place after 3 or 4 shots. Just fine for hunting once you take your time to sight it in, but not much fun at the range.

I'd think you'd want to let it cool completely to keep it consistent.

I have a pencil barrel Model 70 30.06 that I rarely shoot because it walks all over the place after 3 or 4 shots. Just fine for hunting once you take your time to sight it in, but not much fun at the range.
Yep I’m bad about getting impatient

Yep, pretty sure the light weight/sporter barrels are where the routine three shot groups came from aways from five shot groups, that and ammo cost since even in the 60s lots of peoples paychecks was like $25 bring home for a 40hr week.

Might try making a barrel/chamber cooler, but ya. I have a thin X-Bolt in .308 that is a 3 shot and wait barrel. It's a hunting rig, so I just have to be patient and run my barrel cooler

For hunting, id make sure it was on for that first shot, after that things get dynamic anyway and it's awfully hard to hold MOA on a running critter. Or in the best case you aren't shooting again anyway.
Some thin barrels hold groups together very well, some don't, just gotta plan for which you have.

I have a Ruger American 270 that get hot and starts throwing shoots after the 3 round. Let it cool down. Best plan is it shoot ones let it cool. Repeat that process and you will be fine for hunting season.

I spent this morning getting it sighted in and this afternoon just playing had one oops not sure why yet I’m sure it was the end of that brass life 8th firing IMG_7223.jpeg

Good article here with a tip on how you can check your other brass using a paperclip for similar failure point.
It works, bend lil L hook end, other end bend big L hook opposite direction to hold on & to acclamate lil L hook end when put inside brass to head stock & up against inside wall, pull up see if it catches ring on case. Try several spots, if it doesn't catch ring. Then brass is still good. If it does, then scrap it in the brass bucket.

Sounds like a reason to get a bore scope
Bore scope's are alright, the one I've got is buried in a box somewhere,

Used correctly It'll get you on paper, but fine tune zero still got to put some rounds down range.

Know several that bought rifle & scope then had the shop mount scope & bore sight and thought it was zeroed poa, and it wasn't.

the armorer that mounted & bore sighted probably told them rifle needed to be shot & zeroed poa and they didn't listen.

Course you can always do like I & most others have done & still do. Mostly because I'd never even heard of a bore scope till I read article in American rifleman or some magazine.

I mount scope, the put rifle into my homemade sled on bench, remove bolt,

put target 25yrds, adjust feet on sled to see target through bore, then adjust windage & elevation on scope to target,

Then move target to 50yards and do same.

Then move target to 100 yards then shoot & fine tune to zero.

Course theres the little laser bore sight tool too. Never used one, but seen it done.
It chambers in rifle shoots laser through bore onto target then you adjust windage & elevation on scope to poi.

I think you're confusing bore scope with a bore sight.

I use my bore scope to look inside my neck and cases for donuts and separation

I use a bore sighted before I go shoot it will get me in the area I shoot first at 25 yards then adjust scope to poi then move to 100 yards took about 8 shots maybe less to get it where I wanted then I moved back to 200 and was just messing with the scope but I couldn’t get steady enough so I just chronograph a few and came home clouds disappeared anyway

I think you're confusing bore scope with a bore sight.

I use my bore scope to look inside my neck and cases for donuts and separation
No shit,
yes bore sight is what I was thinking about, been so long since I've used mine since I boxed it up Seem to forgot what the fuck it was called hahahahahaha.

Fuckmefunny...... I've used a borescope cam to look at cylinder walls on engines so didn't have to pull the heads.

After 5 firings it’s a good idea to really start checking brass. Even if you’re annealing. If not replace the brass then. What caliber was that?

6.5 creedmoor I need to catch you at home sometime when your not working