What's new

Snacks?

I don’t eat snacks really usually a snack is just a light lunch or something to keep me from being a dick between meals on high calorie burn days.

I don’t eat much candy, but when I do it’s usually Mexican candy or weird shit like this. My favorite is typically watermelon gummy rings with chili powder. IMG_1909.jpeg
Snacks have to be actually worthwhile, and usually just the precursor to a meal, eg and appetizer. Or a multi course snack plan to replace lunch. Typically doesn’t happen unless I’m hunting or fishing. Some favorites are smoked kippers with cheese whiz and pickled onions on ritz crackers, good old fashioned beef jerky/pickled stuff/preserved meats and cheeses, or an all time cherished friend, spam musubi. IMG_7840.jpeg

Also, when I don’t need my “snacks” to have substance, i like figs, and whole fruit. Recently my big favorite is hami melon. Think honeydew consistency with cantaloupe flavor, minus the sulfur taste. Also,I like ice cream. This may or may not be a selfie. IMG_7070.jpeg

I don’t eat snacks really usually a snack is just a light lunch or something to keep me from being a dick between meals on high calorie burn days.

I don’t eat much candy, but when I do it’s usually Mexican candy or weird shit like this. My favorite is typically watermelon gummy rings with chili powder. View attachment 6262
Snacks have to be actually worthwhile, and usually just the precursor to a meal, eg and appetizer. Or a multi course snack plan to replace lunch. Typically doesn’t happen unless I’m hunting or fishing. Some favorites are smoked kippers with cheese whiz and pickled onions on ritz crackers, good old fashioned beef jerky/pickled stuff/preserved meats and cheeses, or an all time cherished friend, spam musubi. View attachment 6263

Also, when I don’t need my “snacks” to have substance, i like figs, and whole fruit. Recently my big favorite is hami melon. Think honeydew consistency with cantaloupe flavor, minus the sulfur taste. Also,I like ice cream. This may or may not be a selfie. View attachment 6264
Got a recipe for your spam musubi? Where do you get the seaweed and sushi rice (assume) around here? My kid loves those things and I get tired of Hawaiian Brothers requests just to get them.

Got a recipe for your spam musubi? Where do you get the seaweed and sushi rice (assume) around here? My kid loves those things and I get tired of Hawaiian Brothers requests just to get them.
My wife makes spam KimBap all the time. You can get the kim (seaweed) at any good Asian store as well as the rice. You use a medium grain rice. Cheap is Calrose but best is new rice like Nishiki or Hanmi. Koreans and Japanese use the same exact rice, so any Korean store will have it too. The big stores in OKC cater to Vietnamese mostly but they all have a good selection of Korean and Japanese stuff.

When we drive up there, we'll go to Super Cao mostly but sometimes Chinatown Supermarket I think is what it's called. It looks and smells just like you're in Asia so a lot of the whiteys that go there don't like it. We go to this place in Moore called World something on Penn down the street from Panang when we do a short trip. They have a lot of stuff too. We always leave there with a couple bags of rice and veggies.

Also, when I don’t need my “snacks” to have substance, i like figs, and whole fruit. Recently my big favorite is hami melon. Think honeydew consistency with cantaloupe flavor, minus the sulfur taste. Also,I like ice cream. This may or may not be a selfie. View attachment 6264
That's a happy ass Afghani. He got two ice creams

I like all kinds of nuts, but pistachio’s are my favorite. Occasionally, I’ll melt some dark chocolate and make some chocolate covered nuts. I’ve been working on some ground this year to try and grow some peanuts next year.

Seaweed: look for Nori at any Asian grocery store. At the super cao Nguyen in OKC it’s in the Japanese/ethnic food section. You’ll also want to pick up a jar of furikake in the same section. It’s a blend of seaweed, sesame seeds, and some spices. It will change how you eat eggs, and rice too.

Go the next block over from super cao nguyen to the Chinatown supermarket, enjoy the lack of hipsters and similar yet different selection of stuff, and buy the apple brand short grain sweet rice. It’s the best in my opinion. Pay in cash to prevent judgemental stares.

Go home, make rice. If you don’t have a zojirushi rice cooker, I highly suggest getting one of their higher end offerings. Expensive, but best thing ever. If my wife left me tomorrow she could have everything in the kitchen but my carbon steel skillet, my zojirushi, and my wustoff knife set.

While rice is cooking, marinade your spam in soy sauce.

When rice is done, mix in a little rice vinegar and a healthy dash or three of the furikakke.

start spam. Cut to desired thickness. I like 1/4”ish. Cook to desired doneness. I like crispy spam, but typically with the marinade and how I like my musubi I go for a softer, less crispy deal. Once spam is hot and cooked how you want it, turn off heat. If you’re forming rice by hand, might wanna pull some out of the cooker at this point to cool slightly.

Lay out nori. I cut mine pretty wide, about half the length of the spam slice.

While spam is still warm, but pan isn’t sizzling, combine ginger paste, garlic paste, mirin, soy sauce, and brown sugar, pour in with spam, mix it up to coat. You don’t want it to cook though, burnt soy sauce a sugar ruins everything.

Start forming rice into spam slice sized slabs. I typically try to go for 1.5x thickness of spam slices. I typically use my hands, but you can use the spam can as a mold. There’s also musubi molds you can buy online.

Wrap the nori. It will stick to itself with a dab of water or sauce.

Eat. Change it up as desired. I’ve added bbq sauce to it before, was great. I like using palm sugar instead of brown sugar. Gojujang is a great addin to the sauce for a tasty kick. Scramble an egg and use your spam can to cut out the perfect slice to add into the stack for a badass breakfast.

IMG_4956.jpeg
A huge craving that I’ve had since starting intermittent fasting. Instead of “ants on a log” I call it “ticks on a stick”. Celery with peanut butter, and covered in chia seeds. Lots of protein and fiber. Two things I find myself craving a lot.

View attachment 6272
A huge craving that I’ve had since starting intermittent fasting. Instead of “ants on a log” I call it “ticks on a stick”. Celery with peanut butter, and covered in chia seeds. Lots of protein and fiber. Two things I find myself craving a lot.
That doesn't sound half bad! 🤔 Wha'cha doin' with all that garlic??

View attachment 6272
Not gonna lie
I thought that was gun powder

Walmart actually Carrys both nori and Calrose rice. It's the only place I can find calrose

But otherwise I hate Walmart so go to super Cao nguyen. I live that store it reminds me of home.

My wife makes spam KimBap all the time. You can get the kim (seaweed) at any good Asian store as well as the rice. You use a medium grain rice. Cheap is Calrose but best is new rice like Nishiki or Hanmi. Koreans and Japanese use the same exact rice, so any Korean store will have it too. The big stores in OKC cater to Vietnamese mostly but they all have a good selection of Korean and Japanese stuff.

When we drive up there, we'll go to Super Cao mostly but sometimes Chinatown Supermarket I think is what it's called. It looks and smells just like you're in Asia so a lot of the whiteys that go there don't like it. We go to this place in Moore called World something on Penn down the street from Panang when we do a short trip. They have a lot of stuff too. We always leave there with a couple bags of rice and veggies.
Thanks!

Seaweed: look for Nori at any Asian grocery store. At the super cao Nguyen in OKC it’s in the Japanese/ethnic food section. You’ll also want to pick up a jar of furikake in the same section. It’s a blend of seaweed, sesame seeds, and some spices. It will change how you eat eggs, and rice too.

Go the next block over from super cao nguyen to the Chinatown supermarket, enjoy the lack of hipsters and similar yet different selection of stuff, and buy the apple brand short grain sweet rice. It’s the best in my opinion. Pay in cash to prevent judgemental stares.

Go home, make rice. If you don’t have a zojirushi rice cooker, I highly suggest getting one of their higher end offerings. Expensive, but best thing ever. If my wife left me tomorrow she could have everything in the kitchen but my carbon steel skillet, my zojirushi, and my wustoff knife set.

While rice is cooking, marinade your spam in soy sauce.

When rice is done, mix in a little rice vinegar and a healthy dash or three of the furikakke.

start spam. Cut to desired thickness. I like 1/4”ish. Cook to desired doneness. I like crispy spam, but typically with the marinade and how I like my musubi I go for a softer, less crispy deal. Once spam is hot and cooked how you want it, turn off heat. If you’re forming rice by hand, might wanna pull some out of the cooker at this point to cool slightly.

Lay out nori. I cut mine pretty wide, about half the length of the spam slice.

While spam is still warm, but pan isn’t sizzling, combine ginger paste, garlic paste, mirin, soy sauce, and brown sugar, pour in with spam, mix it up to coat. You don’t want it to cook though, burnt soy sauce a sugar ruins everything.

Start forming rice into spam slice sized slabs. I typically try to go for 1.5x thickness of spam slices. I typically use my hands, but you can use the spam can as a mold. There’s also musubi molds you can buy online.

Wrap the nori. It will stick to itself with a dab of water or sauce.

Eat. Change it up as desired. I’ve added bbq sauce to it before, was great. I like using palm sugar instead of brown sugar. Gojujang is a great addin to the sauce for a tasty kick. Scramble an egg and use your spam can to cut out the perfect slice to add into the stack for a badass breakfast.
Thanks, I'll give it a try!

That doesn't sound half bad! 🤔 Wha'cha doin' with all that garlic??
Confit. I use a lot of it, and since I’m not making duck anytime soon, I gotta make it the boring way.

Attachments

• IMG_4957.jpeg
    IMG_4957.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
As a Diabetic. I eat a lot of beef jerky and pork rinds. I keep coconut flakes and pecans by my desk at work. But when I want a taste of chocolate I look for sugar free chocolate. I only eat a peace or 2 them I’m done for a couple of days. Just watch the carb count which is what turns to sugar.

Dried cranberries or greek yogert with whey