What's new

Thai restaurant in Elgin

Who makes the best pad see ew? That's my favorite dish at the moment.

Panang's is pretty good, needs heat to bring out the best flavor. I like lad na better but I tend eat non noodle dishes for the most part.

I worked in downtown OKC for a Vietnam vet that was an MP in VN and in Thailand. He used to drag me to one that was just a few blocks east of Shartel and maybe a block/half block south of NW4th. It wasn't far from where we worked, which was good, cause I needed a friendly bathroom shortly after eating.

The overwhelming memory I have is how incredibly hot the food he ordered for me was and how it ran right thru me. We generally ate the same thing, so I don't think he was trying to kill me, but i guess it's possible. I remember it being good, but that doesn't stand out to me as much as how incredibly hot that shit was most days.

I worked in downtown OKC for a Vietnam vet that was an MP in VN and in Thailand. He used to drag me to one that was just a few blocks east of Shartel and maybe a block/half block south of NW4th. It wasn't far from where we worked, which was good, cause I needed a friendly bathroom shortly after eating.

The overwhelming memory I have is how incredibly hot the food he ordered for me was and how it ran right thru me. We generally ate the same thing, so I don't think he was trying to kill me, but i guess it's possible. I remember it being good, but that doesn't stand out to me as much as how incredibly hot that shit was most days.
I think you're talking about Thai Kitchen which has been there for a looonnnggg time. It's one of those downtown worker staple locations.

The quality is not great but it was cheap back in the day. I felt like it was too oily though.

You have about 5ish levels of hot in Thailand on average but that depends:
Mai Phet - not hot
Phet Nit Noi - little hot
Phet - hot
Phet Mak - real hot
Phet Makmak - Thai hot, some people will throw on an extra Mak or two sometimes to say how much extra hot they want it.

The spicy level 1-4 are a little dumbed down, so if you want Thai Hot, you actually have to say Thai Hot. They don't wanna hurt the Farangs, lol. I usually get 2 or 3. The wife usually gets 3 or 4 and sometime she'll go Thai hot.

The overwhelming memory I have is how incredibly hot the food he ordered for me was
I know a guy who likes stupid hot foods. To give you an idea, a few years (maybe 20) back he went to the Calido Chile Traders store at Penn Square Mall and got there right after they’d finished their annual chile eating contest. He picked up where the contest winner had left off.

He was in the Navy in the late ‘70s, and his favorite ports of call were in Thailand, so he naturally gravitated towards Thai food. I don’t know if it’s still there, but there used to be a Thai restaurant on west Lindsey in Norman that was run by a Thai family, and he was a regular there.

On one of his visits, they asked him about his previous visit. As his native tongues are Sarcasm and Smartass, he told them it had been pretty good, but it hadn’t been very spicy.

That was a mistake. He said by the second bite he was sweating…

I think you're talking about Thai Kitchen which has been there for a looonnnggg time. It's one of those downtown worker staple locations.

The quality is not great but it was cheap back in the day. I felt like it was too oily though.

That was the place. Couldn't remember the name. Was never my idea to go there!

This was a long, long time ago. Early to mid 90's. Post '92 but way prior to '99. Little hole in the wall, but a neat little joint.

Last edited:
You have about 5ish levels of hot in Thailand on average but that depends:
Mai Phet - not hot
Phet Nit Noi - little hot
Phet - hot
Phet Mak - real hot
Phet Makmak - Thai hot, some people will throw on an extra Mak or two sometimes to say how much extra hot they want it.

The spicy level 1-4 are a little dumbed down, so if you want Thai Hot, you actually have to say Thai Hot. They don't wanna hurt the Farangs, lol. I usually get 2 or 3. The wife usually gets 3 or 4 and sometime she'll go Thai hot.

I was just along for the ride, except he always made me drive, so he did all of the ordering.

I do remember him digging a little tiny red pepper out of a dish one time, pushing it out to the edge of his plate and saying, "Baby, if you find one of those, don't eat it cause it will ruin your week". I took his word for it.

Damn, we had a lot of fun back in the day. I was a Jr Rep and he was my sales manager. He sure made work fun.

So it knows what it wants, but there is no way for anyone else to know what it wants, but if you really wanted it to grow and prosper, YOU WOULD KNOW what it wants and needs.

These plants, they're all female?
😭😂 might as well be

I got schooled in "Thai Hot" about 30 years ago. We went to a little hole-in-the-wall Thai place in Edgewater, CO. I ordered something and the waiter, a little old man about 4 foot nothing and about 90 years old explained the different hotness levels. I told him I wanted Thai hot because I like hot foods...and it's never hot like they say in most restaurants. He told me..."You American. Thai hot too hot for you. You get regular hot." This went back and forth for a bit till he finally shrugged his shoulders and put the order in.

Motherfucker... Thai hot is not too hot, it's WAY too fuckin' hot. This shit was so hot it made me nauseous after about the first two bites.

Little old dude was like..."I tell you. You no listen. Thai hot too hot American."

I got schooled in "Thai Hot" about 30 years ago. We went to a little hole-in-the-wall Thai place in Edgewater, CO. I ordered something and the waiter, a little old man about 4 foot nothing and about 90 years old explained the different hotness levels. I told him I wanted Thai hot because I like hot foods...and it's never hot like they say in most restaurants. He told me..."You American. Thai hot too hot for you. You get regular hot." This went back and forth for a bit till he finally shrugged his shoulders and put the order in.

Motherfucker... Thai hot is not too hot, it's WAY too fuckin' hot. This shit was so hot it made me nauseous after about the first two bites.

Little old dude was like..."I tell you. You no listen. Thai hot too hot American."
You explained this well to the point I could hear his accent! It was that moment you realized you fucked up