What's new

What's your favorite second tier rifle ammo

I shot 223 and 556 through my mini 14. Haven’t had a problem yet. They both make a hole.
Do you reload? There is a difference in reloading the brass of the two on the first reload
(swaging the primer pockets) and in the wide variation between the capacity of the different makes of NATO ammo. Stay away from max loads in the NATO brass

Yeah, a lot of old Fuds believe . 223 NATO brass has less capacity. It's just a carry over from 308, for which it's true. They just hear NATO and immediately say .... Gotta watch that NATO brass without ever even weighing a single piece. I guess they are to busy playing with their comparetors to even use a scale. Don't believe me, it's easy, just go weigh some with the NATO acceptance stamp, + in a circle and some that isn't. You can even go as far as to fill them each with water and weigh that, so you know which carries more water..... See what I did there!? 🤣

Last edited:
Yeah, a lot of old Fuds believe . 223 NATO brass is heavier. It's just a carry over from 308, for which it's true. They just hear NATO and immediately say .... Gotta watch that NATO brass without ever even weighing a single piece. I guess they are to busy playing with their comparetors to even use a scale. Don't believe me, it's easy, just go weigh some with the NATO acceptance stamp, + in a circle and some that isn't.
Great idea grasshopper. He should weigh the various diffeeent makes of brass and be careful how he loads the brand with the heaviest brass case.
YOU know damn well the brass weight of the 5.56 can vary a great deal from nation to nation.
But that be half ass. Do you think He should measure volume to determine which is the nake with highest volume?
Or do you load your 5.56 with girly loads for shooting and not worry about it?
ETA Where are you getting this 223 NATO you speak of? I thought NATO used only 5.56 designated ammo

Ok Jackie’s I mean jack ass’s. All brass weights different from manufacture to manufacture and from lot to lot. Get over yourself’s we don’t need another thread locked because y’all can’t get along. I’m over the dick measuring contest.

Kurt's 100% correct, lol

Back to the OP, and it being a 308 you asked about, I look for bulk XM118LR if I can find it, and the IMI 175gr SMK. I'll spend the extra 25¢ per round for it. It's worth it if you aren't gonna reload or buy full price GMM or similar. I have a couple cans of GMM recipe I loaded and a can or so of 118LR, so I'm good for now. PPU is good as said before but it's only 15¢ less per round than the IMI so you aren't saving a lot. I highly recommend against buying ammo from cabelas or academy or any place like that because their ammo prices are way higher than you can get online with shipping.

funny
This right here, will smoke any of your 223 bullshit
MK-262-Mod-1_001-2292017847.jpg

And all that jibber jabber about 223 vs 556 is old ass info that nobody can let go of.

This is good stuff but too expensive for blasting ammo for most folks unkess your rich.IMG_0017.png
IMG_0017.png
funny
View attachment 3067

And all that jibber jabber about 223 vs 556 is old ass info that nobody can let go of.
Unless you have carcasses to prove it, I’ll stick to 64 gr Nosler bonded core on full length sized brass over 24.5 of Varget and Winchester small rifle primer. I’ve killed deer, hogs, coyotes, etc out to 300+ using 5.56 brass or 223 brass. I’ve still got Black Hills loads somewhere in my ammo depot
and have shot it. But unless you have some pics of meat damage, bones broken, pics of blow throughs, I won’t be convinced to try.
iI’m one f those that will call the bullet manufacturers and speak to their reps. A Sierra rep from Missouri at the world championships told me their 77 SMK outperformed their 65 gr spire on deer. The 65 Sierra worked well, but no t as well as the 64 gr Nosler. I never tried the 77 SMK but some day soon.
ill Trust my reloads to do what I want . Proved it too many times.

Unless you have carcasses to prove it, I’ll stick to 64 gr Nosler bonded core on full length sized brass over 24.5 of Varget and Winchester small rifle primer. I’ve killed deer, hogs, coyotes, etc out to 300+ using 5.56 brass or 223 brass. I’ve still got Black Hills loads somewhere in my ammo depot
and have shot it. But unless you have some pics of meat damage, bones broken, pics of blow throughs, I won’t be convinced to try.
iI’m one f those that will call the bullet manufacturers and speak to their reps. A Sierra rep from Missouri at the world championships told me their 77 SMK outperformed their 65 gr spire on deer. The 65 Sierra worked well, but no t as well as the 64 gr Nosler. I never tried the 77 SMK but some day soon.
ill Trust my reloads to do what I want.ive proved it too many times.
1707180149232.gif

funny

Have you ever used the 155 Palma, at distance greater than 800 yds? Got some loaded but haven’t used them yet.
Had a few things get in the way like radiation and 60 lbs of weight loss. Hope you don’t face that son, and I mean that from the heart. Take it how you want but it comes from being there.
Factory ammo is really nice but reloading will outperform factory loads for accuracy with the right rifle and worked up load.

I'll see your Target Sports and one up you with an SG Ammo, lol 👇👇👇

sgammo.jpg

Aren't there a bunch of Carcasses laying all over Afghanistan and Iraq, and other places that say MK 262 Mod 1 works well?

Last edited:
I'll see your Target Sports and one up you with an SG Ammo, lol 👇👇👇

View attachment 3079
My total at SGammo for 2023 was over $1700. Health problems has cut back on my shooting but hasn’t kept me from reloading. The blasting ammo from SGAmmo was mostly 7.62x39 and 10mm and 45 ACP. I’ll make a big dent in it this spring.
MidwayUSA was where I bought my pile of IMI 7.62 and 5.56 18-24 months ago. Their prices were better then.
So, no use of the 155 Palma at longer distances?

Yes, in 300 win mag. They did well, but nothing that my heavier bullets weren't doing, except going faster. A tad bit more drift, but the impact was less. I have had good luck with the 150 grain Match King at 1000 in 308 and I would imagine the 155 would be good as well.

Last edited: