What's new

What's your favorite second tier rifle ammo

Do you reload? There is a difference in reloading the brass of the two on the first reload
(swaging the primer pockets) and in the wide variation between the capacity of the different makes of NATO ammo. Stay away from max loads in the NATO brass
I can’t afford to. But I’ll shoot any reloads you happen to want to donate🤪🤪🤪

Little known fact, RickN is one of those people "I never help" by giving him 3 full boxes of 223 factory Federal ammo in different weights (55,69,77) to see which would work best in his new to him Mini-14.

Little known fact, RickN is one of those people "I never help" by giving him 3 full boxes of 223 factory Federal ammo in different weights (55,69,77) to see which would work best in his new to him Mini-14.
😎 FWIW I remember an older Mini14 that would shoot anything till it got hot. Then it grouped like a shot gun. The fix was changing a gas “orifice” in the gas block to a larger size. It tightened the rifle group up quite a bit as it heated up. It also shortened up the throw of the ejected brasss from orbit to 15-20 feet away.
For RickN (cheap mods to accurize Mini14s are hard to find)

Last edited:
Hadn’t read it yet but you putting that up presents a golden opportunity for this forum
Civil debate with friendly presentation of two different opinions can greatly benefit the members here.
An example is the CBC 7.62 surplus ammo from Venezuela that was available years ago. It was bad crap and blew up several rifles if I remember right,
There are some still floating around.
It made FNM 7.62 from Argentina available. That came in 1000 rd crates, 20 rd boxes with a rocket cartouche. It was really good stuff, better than the Portuguese that was available. Then there was that Malaysian nightmare stuff on a belt that came into the country.
Giving our differing opinions might help other shooters?
whadys say, Mr. M?
By the way, Chris and Blaine said hello.

Good article but it didn’t say how much the VOLUME can very. You know as a reloaded that is the important thing. That, along with weight, varies from make to make, batch to batch. It ain’t critical in reloading casual shooting ammo just as long as people stay away from max loads.
Dont you think that is a good idea?

Some random thoughts, Mini -14 gas system vastly different than M-14.

Bullet and any related barrel harmonics are long gone by the time the op rod bottoms against the receiver, so snake oil salesman talk from Accuracy Systems

Slowing down a Mini is a good idea in general.

Article pretty clearly stated difference between NATO spec 5.56X45mm brass and 223 Remington brass was perhaps 1 % and the difference if any was negligible. Glen Zeidecker his book The accurate AR... He's a high power guy, did exhaustive testing on 223/5.56 brass and found them the same. Not a lot heavier. My own testing has proven this out as well.
As to max loading, everyone has their own choice to make in that area, and a novice reloader better do his research, and not rely on others info good or bad.

How bout ya'll make your own thread where you can have your pissing match? I'm pretty sure that the OP was asking about mediocre quality 308 ammo, not reloading, brass weight, 223 vs 556, garbage mods that RickN can't even afford to buy, or whatever fantasies about each other that ya'll have. Let me know, I'll even make the thread for you.

I can’t afford to. But I’ll shoot any reloads you happen to want to donate🤪🤪🤪
Got some with 50 gr Ballistic Tips you can try. Most are 5.56 with Varget giving the push. Got an ammo can full of them, all brass is range pick ups. You’re welcome to 30 to 40 of them. 😎
Been shooting them out of ARs, 1-8 twists,, Wylde chambers 16” barrels. Your Mini14 is a 1-10 223 chamber. They should do good out of your rifle.