What's new

6.5 creedmoor vs 308win

Kwaynem

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fren
I’m thinking of buying another rifle in Ruger American I can’t make up my mind between 6.5 creedmoor and 308win I mainly deer hunt with.270 so I might hunt with the new rifle mainly during the holiday doe season and to keep in the truck

I’d go .308 just because you can always find it on the shelf’s. My local Walmart has a shit load in stock. I also think .30 cal is a great animal killer. If you load you can load up some lighter grain ammo for smaller critters.

I don’t think 6.5 Creedmor is that great of a deer killer in my opinion.

I like the new American ranch a lot. I was gonna get one in 7.62x39, but think I scratched that itch with a cz earlier today. For you, my vote would be whatever caliber you already load for. And if you load both, the. 308. Just cuz it’s not 6.5cm.

I know that when the last ammo crunch was on that the shelves at the stores stayed heavily stocked with 308. I don’t own a 308 but I do a 6.5cm. That being said, if I was buying mainly to hunt Deers and in this current world where ammo and primer supply can go dry so fast………I’d buy a 308. Hell I’ve considered buying one just because my local stores had so much ammo.

I know that when the last ammo crunch was on that the shelves at the stores stayed heavily stocked with 308. I don’t own a 308 but I do a 6.5cm. That being said, if I was buying mainly to hunt Deers and in this current world where ammo and primer supply can go dry so fast………I’d buy a 308. Hell I’ve considered buying one just because my local stores had so much ammo.
That’s another reason I’m asking for opinions thanks buddy

Hell I’ve considered buying one just because my local stores had so much ammo.
That’s the only reason I own a 308. I don’t own a 6.5cm. But I’ve got no beef with either cartridge. And wile I won’t discount someone’s first hand experience with the killing ability of the 6.5cm, the deer I’ve witnessed get shot with a 260rem had no problems dying promptly.

That’s the only reason I own a 308. I don’t own a 6.5cm. But I’ve got no beef with either cartridge. And wile I won’t discount someone’s first hand experience with the killing ability of the 6.5cm, the deer I’ve witnessed get shot with a 260rem had no problems dying promptly.

I’ve actually seen a deer shot with a 338 Lapua and it ran off… bullet was moving so quick it passed right through so it’s not always a bigger bullet is better argument.

260 Rem is a great cartridge. Always wanted one.

I’ve seen deer killed with the 6.5 Creedmor and it does the job, I just think to many people think it’s the GOAT because it has a cool name.

I still lean for .308 just for the sole reason that ammo is still on the shelf’s and affordable. Palmetto had it for $16.99 a box today for 150gr soft point. That’s hard to pass up.

6.5 CM is the way to go. I do hunt with a 270 win. My son hunted with a 6.5 this your for holiday doe. The recoil is more manageable. I’m going to have a brake installed on my 270. Hell I have killed deer with a 223.

I’d go .308 just because you can always find it on the shelf’s. My local Walmart has a shit load in stock. I also think .30 cal is a great animal killer. If you load you can load up some lighter grain ammo for smaller critters.

I don’t think 6.5 Creedmor is that great of a deer killer in my opinion.
This!!! During the pandemic just about the only caliber I could consistently find on the shelf was .308.

I just bought a .308 deer rifle. My logic was ammo availability, and how “tried and true” the round was. 6.5 is a great round but it is hard to find when ammo crunches come on. A lesser round just isnt available when you need it. Not saying 6.5 is a lesser round, but rounds like 243, 223, 7 mag, 300 mag. Just disappear when shtf. All of this my opinion of course.

I had a 308 but sold it. I reload for every rifle I have. Plus I have like some 300 plus factory loaded ammo. im good on 6.5cm but will buy when I see it on sale. look for a AR10 in 308 or 6.5. You will enjoy shooting it and hunt with it.

I had a 308 but sold it. I reload for every rifle I have. Plus I have like some 300 plus factory loaded ammo. im good on 6.5cm but will buy when I see it on sale. look for a AR10 in 308 or 6.5. You will enjoy shooting it and hunt with it.
Getting out of my price range lol

I was going to be a shithead and say something along the lines of 6.5 CM and man buns, but I can’t do it after seeing the pic of that buck. That’s impressive! My vote would still be a 308.

I’ve actually seen a deer shot with a 338 Lapua and it ran off… bullet was moving so quick it passed right through so it’s not always a bigger bullet is better argument.

260 Rem is a great cartridge. Always wanted one.

I’ve seen deer killed with the 6.5 Creedmor and it does the job, I just think to many people think it’s the GOAT because it has a cool name.

I still lean for .308 just for the sole reason that ammo is still on the shelf’s and affordable. Palmetto had it for $16.99 a box today for 150gr soft point. That’s hard to pass up.
I’ve never seen anything killed with a 6.5cm. Completely agree on its overblown reputation as some kinda magic killer. Though I’d imagine it works just fine, like most of the other similar cartridges.

And that steyr in 243 was a difficult pass.
She was getting ready to let her son shoot a doe and he stepped out she took the rifle from him and said sorry not today son 😂
I don’t blame her at all. I’d probably do the same. Something like that could ruin a child.

Getting out of my price range lol
Just going to spit ball the price of a Ruger gen 2. 650 plus tax at 8.25 %.
AR10 308 around 800 plus tax at 8.25%.
bass pro or cabelas will give a military discount at 10%
makes that AR10 a little closer in reach. But I do know about working in a budget