What's new

Garage Gunsmithing - The 15 minute AR trigger Job

danc46

Reaction score
Trophy Points
FYI I’ve done this too but prefer a spring kit intentionally made for the AR. The JP kits are not as consistent in pull as the one listed at the bottom. Dont mess with the trigger/grip adjustment screw Joe Bob sells. You remove the grip then reinstall it you’ll have to readjust it, not worth having IMO.

Trigger spring kit that has worked well for me and friends:

Im very partial to Geisele triggers (5 of them, love the 2 stage pulls). Brandi has a Rock River match trigger on a Grendel we built and she really likes it.

ETA Mods, sorry if this is in the wrong area. Please move.

Last edited:
Don't get butt hurt when folks jump in advising NOT to clip springs or bend springs to improve the trigger in their weapons. This is just bad info all around man.

Put a drop in spring kit or trigger kit in it and be done. I have a couple LaRue MBT's and a Geissele and I can't think of why cutting or bending shit would improve upon these two.

Don't get butt hurt when folks jump in advising NOT to clip springs or bend springs to improve the trigger in their weapons. This is just bad info all around man.

Put a drop in spring kit or trigger kit in it and be done. I have a couple LaRue MBT's and a Geissele and I can't think of why cutting or bending shit would improve upon these two.
Agreed. Whether it’s for defense or for taking game, I expect absolute reliability. Playing games with the trigger isn’t the best idea when there’s already proven, high quality, drop in solutions all over the market.

Agreed. Whether it’s for defense or for taking game, I expect absolute reliability. Playing games with the trigger isn’t the best idea when there’s already proven, high quality, drop in solutions all over the market.

😎 Agreed, but consider that the springs are cheap. People learn by doing. I’ve got at least 7-8 trigger/hammer spring sets I replaced. I quit buying JB setsbecause they vary so much in the same SKU PACKAGE TO PACKAGE. THE Kaw Valleys have been consistent so far. As fast as triggers, I don’t think you can beat the Geiseles. I flat out loved the SSE since my first.
The Rock River is pretty nice too. Can’t speak to the drop ins of any kind but some bUDDIES swear by them.
As far as cutting springs it was done for years on the S&W revolver rebound springs.
The hammer spring on the J frames are round springs and some smiths drill the spring cup down a small bit and the spring has to compress a little less. It can drop the DA from 9.5 lbs to less than 8.
But like you said RELIABILITY FIRST.

I agree. In my first sentence I recommended a spring kit, the Kaw Valley Precision.
IMO Everybody with an AR should buy an Oops! Kit, the one with all the springs in it. They usually have the hammer and trigger springs in it, plus every other one you might need.
But that picture I put up the other day where we replaced the springs with the Kaw spring kit, that boy had shot a crate of ammo out of tha rifle with that 15 minute truigger job done with no problems. He stepped up to another improvement on his rifle (the spring kit) at my suggestion.

Neither is the 25 cent Glock trigger job but lots of people do them. There isn’t any telling how many tens of thousands have done this and left it that way.
Not trying to cause controversy but people look and decide.
Those Kaw Valley spring sets are what I recommended,

Neither is the 25 cent Glock trigger job but lots of people do them. There isn’t any telling how many tens of thousands have done this and left it that way.
Not trying to cause controversy but people look and decide.
Those Kaw Valley spring sets are what I recommended,
You are comparing polishing a couple of parts with flitz and a Q-Tip to clipping and bending springs.

You are comparing polishing a couple of parts with flitz and a Q-Tip to clipping and bending springs.
Ask a Glock rep what he thinks about it. He’ll tell you don’t do it, shoot it enough and you’ll get the same results without polishing it.
Some of those after market trigger kits are exactly the Cheap trigger job, Glock parts they polished and packaged marked $100+.
ETA Not condemning those companies, I’ve got the Zev spring kits in my Poly80s.

I’ve always assumed drop in kits were the best way to go. I have an entry level Rise in 2 of my lowers and a 2 stage factory RRA in my rock river. I’ve been really happy with the Rise armament triggers. Any thoughts on those?

Rise is good equipment. I've never run them, but know several guys who run them and they have never had any trouble with them. I also know the guys that make them and they stand behind their gear!
While we are here I'd like to clear a couple things up that we're kinda muddied farther up!
ISMI spring company makes springs for all kinds of companies, of which Kaw and J.P. are two. Saying that one package with one name on it is sooo much better than the other is like saying, forgive me here, left Twix is so superior to right Twix!
Next lighter spring packs are a good way to lighten trigger pull, still going to have creep and gritty feel, but it will be lighter.... HOWEVER!!! If you go this route you really should run a lightened hammer or you will get light strikes occasionally. You can buy one, or merely cut off the rear "alien from the movie" rear hook on your standard AR hammer. Kinda make it straight from the disconnect on up. Easy to cut it off with a Dremel and now the lighter spring can accelerate the hammer fast enough to get reliable ignition.

Didn't want to post that earlier to avoid the arguing.

Last edited: