What's new

Grills, smokers, etc… what do you use?

HoLeChit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fren
I have found that I dislike my okie Joe kettle that replaced my faithful Weber kettle. So I was wanting to make something to replace it. Have been thinking of an offset smoker, maybe with a Santa Maria grill built on the side. I also don’t know what I’m gonna do in terms of placement. I don’t know if I want to do permanent, or something on a trailer. Lots of stuff in the air. So I figure I would get some advice and thoughts on what everyone else uses around here.

What do you use for your outdoor non-gas cooking needs? Why? How has it worked for you?

If you could have anything, what would it be? What features?

Pit boss lexington pellet grill/smoker, large brick bbq pit, a portable camp fire pit & a 3 burner propane grill (that hadn't been used for awhile).

We use the pellet grill, bbq & campfire pit often.

Like'm.

Pellets with wood chip box for smoke.

Use mostly split seasoned blackjack and/or red oak, along with pecan, apple & peach limbs in the bbq & campfire pit.

occasionally mesquite limbs & chunks when I got it.

Just build a camp fire in the bbq & campfire pit, let it burn to small flame mostly coals & it's time to cook.

Hadn't used charcoal in it for awhile, bout only time we use it is in state parks in a little 16"x16" camp bbq grill we got.

Last edited:
it’s tough to better a Weber kettle in my opinion. For general cooking anyway. Theyre pretty versatile.

I use a Traeger for smoking and Blackstone for grilling.

I have a large disc I’m going to turn into a discada one of these days.

Well for our door cooking I like to start with a big old fire and go from there!

View attachment 5826
Great thing about a real fire cook/grilling is get the coals just right & throw the big chunk of beef right on them sear'm good then flip & sear bit more, pull dust the very little ash & let it rest while you pull the foil wrapped taters out of coals,

Unwrapped on a plate, split, fill with butter, sprinkle bit of salt & pepper and big pinch of chopped up 🧀,

Throw the steak on & dinner time.

Messed with bike I'm selling off a bit this morn,

Flies bit thick, my woman fired up the camp pit, so I throw handful of wet leaves on it ever now & then for smoke when the flies start buzzing round thick again.

But since it's bout lunch time, I tossed in several extra chunks to get the flames going & put the grill over then flame grilled some bacon & cheddar dogs.

Good enough with some cheetos & coke.

Messed with bike I'm selling off a bit this morn,

Flies bit thick, my woman fired up the camp pit, so I throw handful of wet leaves on it ever now & then for smoke when the flies start buzzing round thick again.

But since it's bout lunch time, I tossed in several extra chunks to get the flames going & put the grill over then flame grilled some bacon & cheddar dogs.

Good enough with some cheetos & coke.

IMG_5923.jpeg

Camp Chef Woodwind smoker. I love that thing. It has a Sidekick grill that we can swap out with a griddle or a pizza oven. Awesome smoker that can double as a grill.

I have a neighbor that is one of those master pit bosses. He's founded and owned/ran 3 restaurants for like 10 years each before selling out, then managed a few others, now he's a Food broker for Tyson ( just left brokering for US Foods). If I need something smoked, I ask him the night before. I don't have the setup. We had a barrel charcoal grille but haven't touched it in two years. The Blackstone has replaced almost everything for us. I know y'all take pride in getting up Saturday at 3am and smoking that meat, or sitting all day getting charcoal or pellets perfect, but the Blackstone is ready for meat like 9 minutes after rolling it out of the garage. I wouldn't give that up for anything. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, from fried rice to grilled bologna to quesadillas, it's doing everything for us now. Even deep fried chicken on it once, but it did use a chunk of propane that day.

I have a neighbor that is one of those master pit bosses. He's founded and owned/ran 3 restaurants for like 10 years each before selling out, then managed a few others, now he's a Food broker for Tyson ( just left brokering for US Foods). If I need something smoked, I ask him the night before. I don't have the setup. We had a barrel charcoal grille but haven't touched it in two years. The Blackstone has replaced almost everything for us. I know y'all take pride in getting up Saturday at 3am and smoking that meat, or sitting all day getting charcoal or pellets perfect, but the Blackstone is ready for meat like 9 minutes after rolling it out of the garage. I wouldn't give that up for anything. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, from fried rice to grilled bologna to quesadillas, it's doing everything for us now. Even deep fried chicken on it once, but it did use a chunk of propane that day.

The deep fried chicken on the blackstone is pretty fucking good.