What's new

Help with crosshairs?

Kwaynem

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fren
Not sure if that’s what you call them the only optic I have ever had on my AR is a cheap red dot but I acquired a primary arms 2.5-10x44ffp ACSS GRIFFIN-mil not sure what all that means besides the adjustable power but the crosshairs has like a graph in it and I have no idea how to use it IMG_7359.jpegIMG_7359.jpeg

Very nice! I think you’re going to like that. I have my own methods, but think you will be appropriately informed by one of the more active consumers of bulk powder.

If it didn't come with a manual that explains it, you can download it from Primary Arms. It'll show what it all means. It's in "manual 2"

Not sure if that’s what you call them
I think the term you’re seeking is reticle. The dots, hash marks, etc, are ranging aids, but there are so many variations, you really need the manual to know for sure how to use them.

ETA: As I recall, Maj. John Plaster’s The Ultimate Sniper has a pretty good rundown on reticles and how to use them, but that book is 30 years old, and I’m sure a lot has changed since then.

So, what you have there, if it's mil based, is a mil grid reticle. All the little lines and dots and crosses are milliradians and sub-tensions of milliradians and are referred to as a hashes or hashmarks. Some people call them ticks or tickmarks. The actual crosshair in one of these reticles would be the main center aimpoint where you zero, whether that’s a dot, a crosshair, or a circle, or what have you. An MOA based version would be an MOA Grid reticle.
Numerous companies have their own version but in the end, they are all essentially the same and perform the same function, just mils or MOA. I prefer mils. It's actually easier because everything is broken down to .1 of a mil. This means (if you're military and do everything in meters) your ranging measurements are simpler and more accurate, and your holds and measurements are simpler and more accurate. I highly encourage shooters to dump MOA and move to mil based reticles. The only question I would have is "is the reticle really a mil reticle?" Some of the cheaper scopes have reticles that are not accurate mil measurements.

A mil grid is not to be confused with a ballistic reticle/Christmas tree reticle. They are not the same. Those are calibrated for specific cartridges or families of like cartridges. Their precision usually disappears after about 400m. Ballistic Christmas tree examples would be a Pride Fowler Rapid Reticle, any ACOG or Elcan reticle, Nikon ballistics dots, etc.

The mil grid allows you to not only range a target, but lets you have a ballistic hold, allows for winds holds, measure known objects, and provides adequate leads on moving targets. The best thing they do for hunters, is allow a ballistic holdover and a wind hold capability for shots longer than 200-300m/yds. You can easily find your holds and wind holds for your gun and specific ammo with a ballistic calculator like a kestrel and print it into a little range card and tape it to your buttstock.

Last edited:
So, what you have there, if it's mil based, is a mil grid reticle. All the little lines and dots and crosses are milliradians and sub-tensions of milliradians and are referred to as a hashes or hashmarks. Some people call them ticks or tickmarks. The actual crosshair in one of these reticles would be the main center aimpoint where you zero, whether that’s a dot, a crosshair, or a circle, or what have you. An MOA based version would be an MOA Grid reticle.
Numerous companies have their own version but in the end, they are all essentially the same and perform the same function, just mils or MOA. I prefer mils. It's actually easier because everything is broken down to .1 of a mil. This means (if you're military and do everything in meters) your ranging measurements are simpler and more accurate, and your holds and measurements are simpler and more accurate. I highly encourage shooters to dump MOA and move to mil based reticles. The only question I would have is "is the reticle really a mil reticle?" Some of the cheaper scopes have reticles that are not accurate mil measurements.

A mil grid is not to be confused with a ballistic reticle/Christmas tree reticle. They are not the same. Those are calibrated for specific cartridges or families of like cartridges. Their precision usually disappears after about 400m. Ballistic Christmas tree examples would be a Pride Fowler Rapid Reticle, any ACOG or Elcan reticle, Nikon ballistics dots, etc.

The mil grid allows you to not only range a target, but lets you have a ballistic hold, allows for winds holds, measure known objects, and provides adequate leads on moving targets. The best thing they do for hunters, is allow a ballistic holdover and a wind hold capability for shots longer than 200-300m/yds. You can easily find your holds and wind holds for your gun and specific ammo with a ballistic calculator like a kestrel and print it into a little range card and tape it to your buttstock.
It is in mil’s

Not to sure I like it I might put it up to trade for a .308

This is a pretty common thing for most people who haven't used, or don’t understand/know how or to use a grid reticle. The usual comments are “it’s too busy”, “masks the view”, or they “aren’t a sniper”.
It's not a bad thing nor a dig or anything “negative”, JIC for the attitude police, it's just a comfort level and knowledge thing. Most folks are good with a simple duplex or a generic ballistic reticle. Even most folks with a standard Mildot reticle don't know how to use it. It's just dots to them. I will say, if you are going to shoot long-ish range, and if you take the time, once you learn how to use a mil grid or mil based reticle you probably won't use anything else.

I've only got two "mil-dot" style scope's,

One's a Springfield armory fine reticle & the other no name brand came with my barnet crossbow.

They work good enough whether I do my part or not

Not sure if that’s what you call them the only optic I have ever had on my AR is a cheap red dot but I acquired a primary arms 2.5-10x44ffp ACSS GRIFFIN-mil not sure what all that means besides the adjustable power but the crosshairs has like a graph in it and I have no idea how to use it View attachment 6347View attachment 6347
I’m about to switch from MOA to MIL’s. Think of it as stacking quarters VS dimes. It’s a lot easier to stack dimes out to X range then quarters. Plus dime are smaller than quarters.

I’m about to switch from MOA to MIL’s. Think of it as stacking quarters VS dimes. It’s a lot easier to stack dimes out to X range then quarters. Plus dime are smaller than quarters.
I have two MOA reticles and everything else is in MIL's. One came with the rifle as a package deal putting me in a Vortex PST Gen2 for about 300 bucks and I found a Strike Eagle for 400 bills NIB with rings.

Both are on .300's. I just have to remember and keep dope cards in my scope cover