What's new

Question. Do snipers have to…

What's your definition of LR and ELR???
I'm thinking we are far apart on this...excuse the play on words.

For me, with what I’m shooting;
LR, out to 1,500 yards
ELR, greater than 1,500 yards

Very nice! Although somewhat joking aside, most shoulder fired stuff runs out a gas around 1500, so it never really interested me. To be quite honest, I'm really impressed with the accuracy that can be achieved at these ranges. However all the gear that goes into making a shot at 1500 yards is impractical for me....once again FOR ME. It would be a very rare individual, and a very rare circumstance that a hit at those ranges would be a one shot one hit proposition. The Canadian that has been lauded here took 4 shots to make his hit. Most folks making those kinds of hits are off tripods, sandbags, lazers, wind meters and all sorts of stuff that would be very hard to hump around for a day much less do an "extended stalk" to hit a single target. Don't get me wrong, it's cool and all, but FOR ME, on demand field performance far out weighs a probable shot that take 5 minutes to set up. I'm good to 800 or so, and on a great day maybe 1000, but that is yanking off my pack, using it for a rest and breaking a shot in the 1-1.5 minute mark. Very seldom have I seen anything at extended range that was static unless it was parked vehicles or structures, and even then the ancillary folks around those things tend to move a bunch. The window of opportunity is fairly short and you gotta get on the trigger or it's gone.

On a day like today with the current atmospheric conditions I’m transonic at ~1700 yards. The best I’ve done is a third shot hit at 1500 yards and I’ve never connected at 1760 yards but I’ve only shot it once.

You’re not completely correct about your assumptions with regards to humping the gear and making a one shot hit at these ranges. Just look at King of the Two Mile matches. Granted most don’t but some do very good with first shot hits beyond one mile.

My range finder and Kestrel are not an issue to carry in the field. I can shoot with or without a rear bag and my rifle weighs in at over 19 pounds fully loaded. I’ve taken antelope at over 700 yards with it and no shot has been within 400 yards in the cattle country of east Colorado. My density altitude in this area usually runs from 3800 to 4200 foot. As far as ranging and coming to a firing solution in these situations, it’s never been a problem. Both Berger VLD Hunter and Hybrid VLD in 180gr performed wonderfully. I’ve hunted days when I wouldn’t shoot over 300 yards due to the wind yet there are mornings when it’s so calm you feel comfortable well beyond 900 yards. It all boils down to knowing your equipment and how to employ it and it starts with getting off the bench and shooting in field conditions.