What's new

Small reloadable rifle cartridges?

conditionzero

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Staff member
Administrator
Fren
My eldest daughter likes “making boolitz” but is sad she can’t shoot them. We shoot mainly 22lr together right now, but would be cool for her to make something she can shoot.

Any low recoil reloadable calibers out there? She is tiny 😅

Wanting a bottleneck? 17 hornet?
She like lever guns? 38/357?
Cowcatcher kind of beat me to the Hornets. If she wants a fairly low report and leggy round .204 Ruger is a ball. My son loved it when he was little.
Yeah I think a bottleneck would be cool. She isn’t strong enough to shoulder a lever or that would be a cool option. She shoots a little savage right now. So likely will look for another bolt action that she can reload.

A friend of mine has a 22 hornet and 221 fireball. Both have little recoil and shoot very accurately. They are both CZ rifles. I planned to get one in 17 hornet but didn’t. @Chazroh even brought me the reloading dies that I was sure to need. Lol Now they are discontinued so I’m sure the price has skyrocketed.

Anyone have experience with .17 Rem Fireball?

223 out of a AR or a heavy bolt with a brake. My daughter learned to shoot with a AR and a red dot.
Maybe sub 223 would work. Some of these other smaller wildcats seem hard to get a rifle for.

Or you could always use mechanical advantage. Buy a tripod and saddle: I like Shadow Tech’s Hog Saddle Mod7 and Pig0311g field tripod, they’re current USMC issue as well. Place chosen rifle in saddle (I’m thinking maybe a 223 bolt gun), place weight on tripod weight hook, go to town. The tripod will grow with her, you get a sweet new piece of gear, the weight added will help remove the recoil.

I think the biggest obstacle you’ll have is LOP. I’m sure with the right budget that any rifle that has a chassis system available will cure that. My littlest daughter is coming 9 but she’s a small one. Recoil, confidence and understanding aren’t issues but gun fit is. She loves to help me reload like yours does but she hasn’t hit me with the situation you have. I do understand it though and I would feel obligated to get her a center fire setup too if it came up. We gotta keep ‘em interested. Not spoil em but help all we can. This young age is when kids are won or lost in my opinion.

I seen a Ruger American gen2 in 204 Ruger today for a little over 600. Like you stated. 223 sub would be good. Then you increase powder charge and get it out there.

I think the biggest obstacle you’ll have is LOP. I’m sure with the right budget that any rifle that has a chassis system available will cure that. My littlest daughter is coming 9 but she’s a small one. Recoil, confidence and understanding aren’t issues but gun fit is. She loves to help me reload like yours does but she hasn’t hit me with the situation you have. I do understand it though and I would feel obligated to get her a center fire setup too if it came up. We gotta keep ‘em interested. Not spoil em but help all we can. This young age is when kids are won or lost in my opinion.
Yeah LOP is a big issue. She shoots a little Savage Rascal right now. If you know how small this rifle is...you get the idea.

1704912203446.png
1704912329557.png