What's new

Using ammo from the stash. First in first out, Last in first out?

GC7

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fren
For those of you who have kept your stash stocked up over the years:

If 10 years ago you bought a bunch of 9mm for let's say 15cpr.
And now to buy that same 9mm costs 25cpr.

If you are going to shoot some 9mm, do you touch the old 15cpr stash before you buy more? Or do you leave that stash alone and buy more 9mm at 25cpr?

And similarly, let's say you also have various 9mm reloading supplies you have amassed over the years so you can produce 9mm reloads for 5cpr. Where does that fall in terms of what you actually use to go plink at the range today?

Unless there's a quality difference I'll shoot either first, ie, my 15¢ per round is Winchester or LC surplus or Remington, and my 25¢ per round is some Turkish crap, I'll shoot the Turkish first. If they are the same quality, then it doesn't matter. Reloads, I shoot them over and over.

Part of me wants to not touch the reloading supplies for general plinking, since I can use those ingredients to make all kinds of loadings if some day commercially loaded ammo becomes unobtainium.

But like you said you can recycle the cases almost endlessly so then your plinking is super cheap until you run out. (doing the math just now, I can shoot 9mm reloads for cheaper than 22lr is to buy now)

Saved the best for last if kind of my thought.

I hand load most everything except 9mm. I don't have a progressive and factory cheap enough at the moment.

Yeah I save best for last. Turk stuff gets shot first. Reloads second. Good factory stuff is for SHTF.

150's dead last for the sushercan

Just keep rotating ammo.

Wished I'd bought 100k+ of 22lr when walmart had 525 packs for $7.49 each.

Bout the only factory ammo I've bought for years now is shotgun shells (00, slugs & box of 410 every now&then).

& couple hundred rounds of ammo a year for my daily carry handgun so I can rotate ammo in the mags every 90 days, the ammo I rotate out is still good, but force of habit from years of carrying.