What's new

What’s a forum without a gardening thread?

It would do best in a corner or L shaped area protected/ blocked on 2 sides or on the south side of a structure protected from the north winds of winter.
I'll second this. Mine is sheltered from the north and the west by the house. It dies back to the ground every winter, but comes back in every spring. I do mulch it pretty heavily with the leaves from the oak tree in the neighbor's yard. 🥴

This year the guy driving the backhoe into the backyard to dig up the sewer line ran over my tree and tore it the fuck up. 🤬🤬 I was LIVID.

BUT ... Then I had a couple dozen plants sprout up along the roots. 😳😁 So ... Now I'm just letting the little guys grow. I'll bring a couple inside over the winter to experiment and see if I can actually overwinter a fig in the house. I'm also curious to see if I get any figs this year or not.

IMG20240505142858.jpg

I'll second this. Mine is sheltered from the north and the west by the house. It dies back to the ground every winter, but comes back in every spring. I do mulch it pretty heavily with the leaves from the oak tree in the neighbor's yard. 🥴

This year the guy driving the backhoe into the backyard to dig up the sewer line ran over my tree and tore it the fuck up. 🤬🤬 I was LIVID.

BUT ... Then I had a couple dozen plants sprout up along the roots. 😳😁 So ... Now I'm just letting the little guys grow. I'll bring a couple inside over the winter to experiment and see if I can actually overwinter a fig in the house. I'm also curious to see if I get any figs this year or not.

View attachment 5719
They are resilient.
How old is it?

So I was out checking on the blackberries and throwing the ball for the boys, things are looking good so far, I’m gonna be drowning in blackberries soon. IMG_4802.jpegIMG_4798.jpeg
Decided to check on the watermelon plants I put in near the fence line. Found this guy. I don’t know what they are, aside from my native friend calling them “ooowagee”? They’re supposed to be good to eat?
IMG_4794.jpeg

We’re looking at a bumper crop of stickers this year though.
IMG_4693.jpeg

So I was out checking on the blackberries and throwing the ball for the boys, things are looking good so far, I’m gonna be drowning in blackberries soon. View attachment 5724View attachment 5725
Decided to check on the watermelon plants I put in near the fence line. Found this guy. I don’t know what they are, aside from my native friend calling them “ooowagee”? They’re supposed to be good to eat?
View attachment 5726

We’re looking at a bumper crop of stickers this year though.
View attachment 5727

“Pastora” for post emergent control of stickers I hear. Tractor Supply sells it. I haven’t used it myself but it sounds like a badass herbicide for sandburs. Pretty pricy but covers a shit load of sq footage.

Next year make sure you put a good pre emergent down. Should take care of any new that will pop up

“Pastora” for post emergent control of stickers I hear. Tractor Supply sells it. I haven’t used it myself but it sounds like a badass herbicide for sandburs. Pretty pricy but covers a shit load of sq footage.

Next year make sure you put a good pre emergent down. Should take care of any new that will pop up
Yeah, I’m looking into either Pastora or the more native friendly imazapic “plateau”. I don’t really care if my yard has weeds, I just don’t want bad weeds like stickers. I’m planning on putting down Bermuda and clover this spring, after a bunch of other work. Gonna burn, spray, top dress, level, fertilize, and seed. Pretty much working on hitting the stickers with a big hammer over the next year, and then hopefully keeping them beat back over the next 6-8 years until the seed bank is down to almost nothing.
I would like to have a yard reminiscent of the Spanish Dehesa in a few years. But the Oklahoma version, so rather than Iberco Pork we’re looking at a few worn out roping steers and a handful of Idaho pasture pigs, maybe a couple Tamworths.1718681659066.jpeg
Thinking of starting a thread on my lawn renovation. We’ll see.

Last edited:
Yeah, I’m looking into either Pastora or the more native friendly imazapic “plateau”. I don’t really care if my yard has weeds, I just don’t want bad weeds like stickers. I’m planning on putting down Bermuda and clover this spring, after a bunch of other work. Gonna burn, spray, top dress, level, fertilize, and seed. Pretty much working on hitting the stickers with a big hammer over the next year, and then hopefully keeping them beat back over the next 6-8 years until the seed bank is down to almost nothing.
I would like to have a yard reminiscent of the Spanish Dehesa in a few years. But the Oklahoma version, so rather than Iberco Pork we’re looking at a few worn out roping steers and a handful of Idaho pasture pigs, maybe a couple Tamworths.View attachment 5728
Thinking of starting a thread on my lawn renovation. We’ll see.

Not sure if true but I heard one time that guineas are some sticker eating sons of bitches. Goats too.

View attachment 5726

Passiflora species. Oklahoma usually has the purplish flower. Also know as passion flower. Pretty cool story that has biblical background. Highly medicinal, used in today’s medicine for anxiety and sleep disorders. Next time you go to the store go look at tea or tablets for sleeping or anxiety and itll have it. If you want to harvest, eat harvest when it gets soft and smells sweet. It’ll get a bunch of wrinkles and be squishy like jello open up eat the jelly inside and spit seeds out. Note- If you are diabetic consuming to much can delete or reverse synthetic insulin. 1 will not hurt.
Some how I wrote in your post👆🏻👆🏻👆🏻1721303268032.png