What's new

Safes and layout.

As far as safe organization goes, I never found the door hangars to be all that useful except for the pistol holsters on the top half. The stocks on the rifles on the door stick too far out and I can fit more if I just put them in the main part of the safe. Also, if a safe is listed as a 48 gun safe, in reality it is about half that, unless you are putting 48 single shot shotguns in there are don't care about rubbing. Pistol mostly go on the top shelf. Only one shelf, all the pistols are in oiled rags or rugs and stacked. Makes it damn difficult to get things out, but that's the price of having it secure.

And for placement, if you live in a house with a concrete floor, drill and bolt them in place. I know of two safes that were stolen with a bunch of valuable things inside, including documents, family heirlooms, guns, gold, and artwork. They just manhandled them into a truck. Nothing is truly safe from theft. Mostly, it's just trying to slow them down or deter them by making it as difficult as possible.
Good point on the door storage. I like the idea, but at the end of the day, it seems to be not as good as it sounds.

Yeah, the first year or so of its life it will be crammed into an office with a locking door. Property is gated, fenced, surveilled, and alarmed. It will get bolted down. Next fall I hope to start building my office, inside my shop. Same story as above, but the office will have a closet with a cage, which will house the safe and other goodies.

Kinda like this:
1727923237233.png

I'm looking into the costs of turning said closet into a saferoom/storm shelter, as we need one of them too. I def have every intent on making it as hard as possible to steal.