What's new

Safes and layout.

As far as safe organization goes, I never found the door hangars to be all that useful except for the pistol holsters on the top half. The stocks on the rifles on the door stick too far out and I can fit more if I just put them in the main part of the safe. Also, if a safe is listed as a 48 gun safe, in reality it is about half that, unless you are putting 48 single shot shotguns in there are don't care about rubbing. Pistol mostly go on the top shelf. Only one shelf, all the pistols are in oiled rags or rugs and stacked. Makes it damn difficult to get things out, but that's the price of having it secure.

And for placement, if you live in a house with a concrete floor, drill and bolt them in place. I know of two safes that were stolen with a bunch of valuable things inside, including documents, family heirlooms, guns, gold, and artwork. They just manhandled them into a truck. Nothing is truly safe from theft. Mostly, it's just trying to slow them down or deter them by making it as difficult as possible.
Good point on the door storage. I like the idea, but at the end of the day, it seems to be not as good as it sounds.

Yeah, the first year or so of its life it will be crammed into an office with a locking door. Property is gated, fenced, surveilled, and alarmed. It will get bolted down. Next fall I hope to start building my office, inside my shop. Same story as above, but the office will have a closet with a cage, which will house the safe and other goodies.

Kinda like this:
1727923237233.png

I'm looking into the costs of turning said closet into a saferoom/storm shelter, as we need one of them too. I def have every intent on making it as hard as possible to steal.

Harbor freight has Union safes, got an sales ad for choctaw store for a 24 gun fire resistant for $480 with itc membership thats 30 bucks/year.1000001061.jpg
ITC Member-Only Deal Expires 10/31

$479.99
Reg Price $599.99
Save $120
Compare to STACK-ON FS-24-MB-E at $959.91Save $360

Last edited:
Check out Sportsmans Steel Safes here in the city. They build the weapons lockers for the embassies and SEAL teams. They have a walk in modular unit that chubs me up so hard I pass out from lack of brain blood.

There’s a pretty nice safe for sale over in tardland for 1600…

Check out Sportsmans Steel Safes here in the city. They build the weapons lockers for the embassies and SEAL teams. They have a walk in modular unit that chubs me up so hard I pass out from lack of brain blood.

There’s a pretty nice safe for sale over in tardland for 1600…

Can't PM on a site we're all banned from.

Sooner state on 23rd had a stack-on safe for $199 today. It isn’t fancy, but it’d stop kids or unprepared thieves.

IMG_7673.pngThis is the tardland item of which I wrote.
IMG_7674.pngIMG_7675.png

It’s located in Claremore. 1600 OBO, trade for equal value. 49” W, 25” D, 59” T

View attachment 7551This is the tardland item of which I wrote.
View attachment 7550View attachment 7549

It’s located in Claremore. 1600 OBO, trade for equal value. 49” W, 25” D, 59” T
Tempting, it’s the in the size Neighborhood I’m looking for. I’m tempted to hit him with a low number and see what happens.

But, why is it 30% lighter than the Winchester I’m looking at? The Winchester is 11ga steel vs the Dakota’s 12ga, should be barely a half pound per square foot difference. The Winchester also has a far superior supposed fire rating, 90 min @1400° vs 60 min @ 1250°. But even if they fit an Extra sheet of 5/8 fire rated sheet rock in there that’s only an extra 70lbs. But they’re roughly the same dimensions.

I can get the Winchester for 1700ish -10% off at h&h right now plus shipping. OR $1549 and free shipping to my door from Costco right now, which is the route I am leaning towards.

The Dakota has an S&G mechanical lock, which is something I’m looking to upgrade to immediately, but it’s not a huge price benefit, maybe $100.

Tempting, it’s the in the size Neighborhood I’m looking for. I’m tempted to hit him with a low number and see what happens.

But, why is it 30% lighter than the Winchester I’m looking at? The Winchester is 11ga steel vs the Dakota’s 12ga, should be barely a half pound per square foot difference. The Winchester also has a far superior supposed fire rating, 90 min @1400° vs 60 min @ 1250°. But even if they fit an Extra sheet of 5/8 fire rated sheet rock in there that’s only an extra 70lbs. But they’re roughly the same dimensions.

I can get the Winchester for 1700ish -10% off at h&h right now plus shipping. OR $1549 and free shipping to my door from Costco right now, which is the route I am leaning towards.

The Dakota has an S&G mechanical lock, which is something I’m looking to upgrade to immediately, but it’s not a huge price benefit, maybe $100.
🤷 Quien sabe…

Not my safe. Everything I know about it is what was in the original ad. I did send a PM and ask for a pic of the fire rating label but haven’t heard anything back yet. I was just throwing it out as a public service for the OP. Like I told JEVapa, I’m just trying to be handy for the ingloriously exiled.

My first choice would be one of those magnificent walk in vaults from Sportsmans. It could do double duty as a vault and shelter. The prices haven’t gone down since I first stumbled across them. Lord willing my means will accelerate to the point where it’s an an acquisition rather than an imposition one of these days.

I was in a few tractor supply stores down south today,

Seen winchester and cannon brand safes, didn't have time to look them over, but winchester were around 500 and up,

Cannons bout the same, the ardmore store had a big cannon approx 2' front to back, 4' wide & 5' tall for $1799.99

I bought a Winchester Big Daddy safe from Costco this weekend. Ordered online for $1589 with free shipping to my house. H and H wanted 1700 or so with $300ish to deliver it. It’s 44x26x60 or so, 11 ga steel with a 90min fire rating at 1400°. Weighs just under 1000lbs. Seemed to be the best deal for the money I could find at that price range. Should be here in a week or two, I figure I’ll change out the lock with a S&G combo before I start transferring stuff over to it.

Last edited: