What's new

Good steak where?

I remember there being a menu a year or two ago. Limited, but it was there. The wife got a half chicken, I got either a ribeye or prime rib. I just remember her chicken had the most beautiful, picture perfect smoke ring on it. Things do change though, they might have done away with it. We need to go back soon.

Never had a menu, ever. I've been going there for 30+ years.

Unless they have changed the menu in the last couple months they have ribs, brisket, 8 or 12 oz sirloin, prime rib, 1/2 smoked chicken, and within the last few years added a grilled chicken breast for kids and old folks. No rib eyes, ever. No menu, ever.

Baked, curly fries or steak fries. A salad bar that is simple but incredibly fresh and you can eat your fill of brown beans and fried okra.

It's gotten pretty expensive, so I don't go like I used to which was about 3 times a month.

Ken sold out several years ago to his cook, Eddie, and Ken and Ola moved to the lake. They've both passed on now. I heard he was a real SOAB to work for, but I really liked them both, and he was always incredibly nice to me and mine and would always take time to pull up a chair at my table and sit and visit for a spell after we had finished eating. He was okay by me. Don't give a shit what others said about him. I liked him.

Also on my list is rockin H in temple. Supposed to be pretty good. I worked with the owners son in the oil patch. Great dude. Supposed to be a good place to eat. Just need to make it down there.

I've got friends that go there all the time and they say it's great, but like you, I've never been.

@JEVapa Temple shouldn't be much of a drive. Go check that out and give us a review when you get a chance.

I think we're gonna try this Ken's sometime this month for "mother's day".
Do they really not have a menu?
I've heard it's just a waitress saying "you want sirloin, ribeye, or ribs?"

They open Thursday - Friday.

Opens at 4 closes at 9.

The ole man used to lock the door at 9, but if you were in the door and in line you got fed, and he wouldn't let the cleaning up commence until everyone was finished eating.

At cattleman’s yesterday. “Presidential favorite T-Bone” for $39. Thickest part of the steak was about 1/4”, tenderloin side tapered down to 1/8”. I’ve been going regularly the past few months. Never again. I’ve seen better looking steaks at dollar general, and tasted better at Golden Corral.
View attachment 6883

Pretty sure I already posted bout cattleman's disappointing steak meal, but I'm at work right now waiting my turn to turn in my gear for the day.

Way back when my mom was still alive, took her up there for her birthday lunch.

As always She had a ribeye med rare & I had a porterhouse rare, the bake taters were bout size of a peach.

Meal was mediocre, steaks were tender but watery like the cook injected them with water, pressure cooked then threw on the grill to flame broil.

Always remember mom saying "nothing like they used to be, steak you cook at the house tastes a lot better than this"

Hahahaha, the tea we drank was pretty good though, so it wasn't a total waste of $60+ something bucks.

Last edited:
Willingly eating at Cattleman's is like thinking Hershey makes good chocolate because it's an American Icon that supports American workers or some old ass bullshit.

Its too bad lots of places got too expensive to go very often & waitress service went to shit.

Hell even some fastfood places ask for tips nowadays.

Willingly eating at Cattleman's is like thinking Hershey makes good chocolate because it's an American Icon that supports American workers or some old ass bullshit.
Hadn't been back to cattleman's since took my mom for lunch.

Figured mom's birthday lunch wasn't satisfactory to her, besides costing a half days pay back then,

So cattleman's will have to improve the taste of food they sell before I venture back.

Besides Hershey's chocolate is a step above mouse shit, it's went to shit like coke cola.

I don’t think I have ever had a bad steak at Cattlemens they are usually decent to good. Not best steak I have ever had but consistently good. Mickey Mantle’s is probably the best steak I have had in OKC.

I don’t think I have ever had a bad steak at Cattlemens they are usually decent to good. Not best steak I have ever had but consistently good. Mickey Mantle’s is probably the best steak I have had in OKC.

Hey Jackary, good to see you here