What's new

Food & Stuff

Korean or Japanese Donkatsu? I need to get you some Korean rice too.
Japanese. I’ve never had Korean rice, and now I’m curious. I actually just made Kalbi beef ribs, kimchi, and jasmine rice. I feel like I finally got my marinade down right. Sadly, I always get so excited about it the only picture I have is of the soju.image.jpg

Jasmine rice is Thai. Basmati is Indian. Korean and Japanese rice are the same...it's a medium grain sticky rice. Same as what's used in rolls and Sushi and kimbap.

And that shit you're holding will make you time travel and teleport

Jasmine rice is Thai. Basmati is Indian. Korean and Japanese rice are the same...it's a medium grain sticky rice. Same as what's used in rolls and Sushi and kimbap.

And that shit you're holding will make you time travel and teleport
Ahhhhh ok. I’m a big fan of jasmine rice for meat heavy dishes, and tend to eat more of it cause the wife prefers it over medium or short grain for everything.

I always heard from buddies who did time in the Armythat soju was dangerous, I never went over there and tried it. I can buy it at my local liquor store. It’s perfect to go with the ribs, and yeah, it’s really dangerous for sure.

Japanese. I’ve never had Korean rice, and now I’m curious. I actually just made Kalbi beef ribs, kimchi, and jasmine rice. I feel like I finally got my marinade down right. Sadly, I always get so excited about it the only picture I have is of the soju.View attachment 4311
I'm sheltered, can't say I've heard of Soju. Is there any 'if you like X you might like soju' comparison out there?

I'm sheltered, can't say I've heard of Soju. Is there any 'if you like X you might like soju' comparison out there?
I’m gonna probably get my ass beat for saying it, but I liken it to Sake, but a little fruitier with less burn.

It’s like 20 percent alcohol, so it goes down really nice and sneaks up on you. Buy some, put it on the freezer, drink it cold cold.

It’s like sake. Every region has their own. JinRo is probably the most well known.
We used to drink Kettles, which is a little bottle of soju with a liter of juice…any juice. OJ and Pineapple is best. If you like sipping rubbing alcohol, you’ll like soju, lol.

Last edited:
Stay away from this stuff in particular.

makgeolli-group-2

I’m gonna probably get my ass beat for saying it, but I liken it to Sake, but a little fruitier with less burn.

It’s like 20 percent alcohol, so it goes down really nice and sneaks up on you. Buy some, put it on the freezer, drink it cold cold.
20% doesn’t sneak up on me…. maybe when I was younger. Now, it would be like a sledgehammer to the back of the head. Sounds like a good time but not so much the next day or even the day after the next day.

God I love that place. One of my favorite places. Sadly, we’re about to me moving and Gabriella’s will become more of a special trip than a regular local standby.
We go there about 4-5 times a year. Nice little joint with some class and they treat you great. One of our favorites too

Oh and last night I made some honey roasted nuts. This batch is just using up the last of my cashews, pecans, and walnuts. They’re almost as bad as heroin. Last batch had Brazil nuts and almonds as well, which was a fantastic combo as well IMG_4321.jpegIMG_4327.jpegIMG_4321.jpeg

I smoked a tri tip tonight. This could become a favorite of mine.

No pics. Oops. It was a perfect medium rare though. 50min @ 225°F
I did one on Wednesday. This one, I was in a rush, so I cooked at 350° until 140° in the center. 10 minutes rest.

Roasted some green beans and forgot to take a picture.....

Smoking/grilling a cowboy ribeye tonight. I’m kinda excited, it’s the first I’ve ever done.View attachment 4371
I cook these a lot. I just put black pepper on mine and smush some rosemary leaves into it. Nothing else. Then I burn the shit out of it on the grill...medium to high-ish heat for like 7 min each side then flip a few times til it's about like my palm than put it in the dish and let it sit. If I have a wild hair, I'll douse it with some beer or some Dillo dust. Sometimes I'll lower the heat a little but it tastes better I think on higher heat but that's me. The middle is always rare.

Last edited: