What's new

Food & Stuff

IMG_3871.jpegIMG_3872.jpeg
Funny. Growing up I was very much a plain ham and cheese, baloney and pimento cheese, or peanut butter and banana sandwich kinda kid. I remember watching my dad make braunschweiger sandwiches with onion and mustard or olive loaf, that sorta stuff. I always thought it was super weird and looked gross.

But the older I get, the more I turn into my dad I feel. Growing up, we never got leftovers for lunch, just sandwiches. Now, I tend to eat leftovers for lunch. Not big on sandwiches, but every once in a while, I’ll eat sandwiches for a few weeks. Today’s sandwich is pumpernickel bread, Muenster cheese, thinly sliced onions, jagdwurst, and sweet/spicy Düsseldorf mustard. It tasted like the fanciest bologna sandwich you’ve ever had.

Any good sandwich ideas? What’s your favorite?

View attachment 1718View attachment 1719
Funny. Growing up I was very much a plain ham and cheese, baloney and pimento cheese, or peanut butter and banana sandwich kinda kid. I remember watching my dad make braunschweiger sandwiches with onion and mustard or olive loaf, that sorta stuff. I always thought it was super weird and looked gross.

But the older I get, the more I turn into my dad I feel. Growing up, we never got leftovers for lunch, just sandwiches. Now, I tend to eat leftovers for lunch. Not big on sandwiches, but every once in a while, I’ll eat sandwiches for a few weeks. Today’s sandwich is pumpernickel bread, Muenster cheese, thinly sliced onions, jagdwurst, and sweet/spicy Düsseldorf mustard. It tasted like the fanciest bologna sandwich you’ve ever had.

Muenster cheese is the best! It also makes great grilled cheese sammiches!

View attachment 1718View attachment 1719

The last few month for work lunch I have really been into Genoa salami, black forest ham and either Munster or provolone on Braums buttermilk bread with mayo and dijon, stoneground or german whole seed mustard depending on which one I see first.

I like it dry. No time for that mustard bullshit.

The last few month for work lunch I have really been into Genoa salami, black forest ham and either Munster or provolone on Braums buttermilk bread with mayo and dijon, stoneground or german whole seed mustard depending on which one I see first.

When I buy bread instead of making my own, I like the Braum's Light Wheat.

Oh yeah, it’s my go to for grilled cheese. I usually get both Muenster and Fontina, and slice a garlic batard for the bread. Great stuff, even the wife loves it. For her to ask for something means it’s exceptional.
I’ve never even considered mayo and mustard on the same sandwich. I may have to give it a try sometime. I’m definitely a mayo and ketchup on my cheeseburger kinda guy, so maybe it will open up my horizons a bit.
When I buy bread instead of making my own, I like the Braum's Light Wheat.
How do you manage to make sandwich bread that’s worth a shit? I have had zero luck. Granted, what I make well is Hokkaido Milk Bread, cornbread, and sourdough. Problem is I killed off my sourdough starter, and my crust is typically too robust on the sourdough for a sandwich. Hokkaido milk bread doesn’t make for good sandwich bread either in my opinion.

Oh yeah, it’s my go to for grilled cheese. I usually get both Muenster and Fontina, and slice a garlic batard for the bread. Great stuff, even the wife loves it. For her to ask for something means it’s exceptional.

I’ve never even considered mayo and mustard on the same sandwich. I may have to give it a try sometime. I’m definitely a mayo and ketchup on my cheeseburger kinda guy, so maybe it will open up my horizons a bit.

How do you manage to make sandwich bread that’s worth a shit? I have had zero luck. Granted, what I make well is Hokkaido Milk Bread, cornbread, and sourdough. Problem is I killed off my sourdough starter, and my crust is typically too robust on the sourdough for a sandwich. Hokkaido milk bread doesn’t make for good sandwich bread either in my opinion.
For sandwich bread use a loaf pan and a regular "rapid rise" or "instant" yeast

I have both a living starter and a pound of SAF instant if you want some.

I also recommend laying down the mayo and mixing the mustard with it.

I am also pretty sure that this Aldi German stuff is the mustard that Christ spoke of in the parable of the mustard seed. Also inglehoffer, or any of the beaver brands out of Portland OR.

Either way mustard is God's favorite condiment.IMG_20240116_080123.jpg

If you ever get a chance for a day trip to Muenster, TX, it will be worth your while. The local grocery store makes a wide variety of meats and cheeses including of course Muenster cheese.

If you ever get a chance for a day trip to Muenster, TX, it will be worth your while. The local grocery store makes a wide variety of meats and cheeses including of course Muenster cheese.
That's the origin of the REAL Muenster cheese as we know it. There is also a Munster Cheese From Munster, Alsace in France. (Actually suppose to be part of Germany):that is totally different, it's a soft cheese similar to a brie and super delicious if you ever get a hold of it. Honda like how Monterey jack is Actually from Monterey California rather than Monterey Mexico.

1705443035632.png

Why am I looking at a thread about food when I'm supposed to be fasting?!?!?!? 🤐

I've been eating OMAD (half a normal sized ribeye with a poached egg or two). If I think I'm starving (not often) I'll toss in a couple of string cheese sticks and it share with Dawg so I probably get 70% of what's on my plate. Lol

No complaints really so far. And I've lost a TON of weight. And I stay satisfied for the most part. Sugar cravings are gone. Found out I'm allergic to nightshades so no more taters ... Or tomatoes ... Or peppers ... For me. The only thing I really miss is the black pepper and jalapenos. 😥

I wanted to turn some wild meat into butcher style cuts cuz eating grilled meat off a bone is righteous. This is from the antelope I shot last weekend. I cut the saddle out of its back (tenderloin and backstrap with spine and rib bones in) so I could cut some porterhouse/t-bones. I don’t have a band saw to cut dead center thru the spinous process, so I removed both loins from one side and kept them “whole”. I then cut the chops from the side with the loins still attached. It’s not my cleanest butcher work, but I don’t think it’s too bad for my first time trying this particular cutIMG_3346.jpegIMG_3348.jpegIMG_3347.jpegIMG_3349.jpegIMG_3350.jpegIMG_3352.jpegIMG_3354.jpeg

I wanted to turn some wild meat into butcher style cuts cuz eating grilled meat off a bone is righteous. This is from the antelope I shot last weekend. I cut the saddle out of its back (tenderloin and backstrap with spine and rib bones in) so I could cut some porterhouse/t-bones. I don’t have a band saw to cut dead center thru the spinous process, so I removed both loins from one side and kept them “whole”. I then cut the chops from the side with the loins still attached. It’s not my cleanest butcher work, but I don’t think it’s too bad for my first time trying this particular cutView attachment 2204View attachment 2205View attachment 2206View attachment 2207View attachment 2208View attachment 2209View attachment 2210

You know you were welcome to offload some of that antelope when you drove through

All you gotta do is ask dog.

But for real, if anyone would like to try some antelope, I’d be happy to share. Freezer space is tough to come by, so the less I have to process and store the better.

I honestly wasn’t sure if you’d get one as cold as it fucking was up here 🤣