What's new

Range Day Pic Thread

It seems like I’ve seen this pic at least a dozen times. When will we see something in the 1,000-1,500 yard range? You know, distance where the big boys play. After all, you can only spend so much time in load development.

I’m ready to see some <MOA groups at greater than 1,000 yards

Isn’t that where you test loads??

Man, the guy carrying the range thread on a precision shooting forum can’t get no breaks at all.

Appears to be a barrel cooling fan. The old Buffalo hunters used to just pee down the barrel, now a days we got fancy way to cool a barrel I guess.

Yes, for reals. A Buffalo hunter could easily shoot 150 rounds in a very short time. Black Powder generates a lot more heat than smokeless powder. It was not unusual for a round to cook off. Out on the prairie water was at a premium and there is more than a few historical accounts of Buffalo Hunters peeing down the bore of their Sharps, Rolling Block, or Trap Door to cut fowling and cool the barrel.

Did you make that barrel fan? I seen where someone made one from an air mattress pump

While I enjoy the home made attempt, a real high end barrel cooler is a machined cartridge case to accept a high pressure line and regulator hooked to a nitrogen tank to blow cold nitrogen through the bore.....and no, im not kidding about that either. I guess that is so you can get a real cold bore shot (-320°F). 😂

Talk about a Goddamned slow sniper chillin the barrel off between shots

I recall reading in "93 confirmed kills" where hathcock was shooting his model 70 06' as fast as his spotter was shooting his m14, there were enough viets that he would fire till empty, reload & go back to it until they got some cover,

Hathcock then scans the cover & sees a small black spot, zeros in, shoots and hits one on top of head.

Pretty sure shooting that much that fast he didn't let the barrel cool between shots.

Of course if I was the target, I'd want a lazy shooter that hadn't practiced in years