What's new

Tales from the Reloading Room

This is a piece of my 6.5 alpha brass. I don’t have an amp annealer yet. 😂 flame annealing with a drill get the job done.
Mine may have got too hot?? Not spinning fast enough??

My Alpha with the AMP (even after two cases sacrificed for a code) doesn't show near a much discoloration as other brands do. My Lake City 5.56 stuff is further down past the shoulder than most too.

Been a full day of reloading here at the pad

Annealed 85 pieces of 7PRC
Annealed 105 pieces of Lapua .308
Annealed 40 pieces of Alpha 6GT

Sized, trimmed, chamfered, deburred, cleaned, set necks and primed all of the above

Loaded 15 test loads for my 7PRC

Spent all day Friday cleaning my Bergara Wilderness (N570 is a dirty bitch)

Took inventory on powder

Cleaned my bench and rearranged everything to free up some space

Chasing something not sure if i catch it
my goal is to get 1 inch groups @ 100y through all seasons all temps with mixed brass. Hornady, caq, lc, pvri, 7.62 and Aquila. some single fired and other unknown. Most brass is from the range and what i have gotten from others, some fired by me. Had to knock out the crimp from milspec brass. No annealing Temp today was 101F no wind Just wanting to see what this rifle is capable of with basic data and not to controlled.
5 shot groups
168gr sierra hpbt
Primers Winchester large rifle
oal 2.840
Imr 4064
43.5g
44g had 2 flyer , i called them as i touched trigger will repeat
44.5g seemed to be the best so far will repeat
Center of target- 43.5
Low left- 44
Low right 44.5
Didn’t have calipers to measureIMG_6920.jpeg

Chasing something not sure if i catch it
my goal is to get 1 inch groups @ 100y through all seasons all temps with mixed brass. Hornady, caq, lc, pvri, 7.62 and Aquila. some single fired and other unknown. Most brass is from the range and what i have gotten from others, some fired by me. Had to knock out the crimp from milspec brass. No annealing Temp today was 101F no wind Just wanting to see what this rifle is capable of with basic data and not to controlled.
5 shot groups
168gr sierra hpbt
Primers Winchester large rifle
oal 2.840
Imr 4064
43.5g
44g had 2 flyer , i called them as i touched trigger will repeat
44.5g seemed to be the best so far will repeat
Center of target- 43.5
Low left- 44
Low right 44.5
Didn’t have calipers to measureView attachment 6493
Is this a bolt rifle or semiautomatic? Just my thoughts on chasing 1moa on mixed brass. Cases capacity of different manufacturers. I would look for low es and sd between brass manufacturers.

Is this a bolt rifle or semiautomatic? Just my thoughts on chasing 1moa on mixed brass. Cases capacity of different manufacturers. I would look for low es and sd between brass manufacturers.
Semi auto
I agree. Just trying something new.
I got a pretty good result just going to see if I can keep it

I did this with my .270 main brass is Winchester 60.0 grain of H4831 one bug hoe at 100 yards Remington brass had less volume and filled the case to the top

Low ES/SD verses high ES/SD will be difficult to decipher in groups on paper at 100 yards. These numbers don’t rear their ugly heads in groups until ranges substantially increase. And then, shooter error can skew your readings.

Ditch the lead sled and get a lower profile bipod if you’re going to shoot off a bench

Been a busy couple of days in the reloading room.

Gifted about 100 pieces of Hornady 7PRC, some Hornady .300 PRC and 50 plus Hornady 6GT brass. Decapped, cleaned and dried that and the 100 plus Alpha 6.5 Creed from the Barnes 127 LRX testing. Annealed all of that this morning before work and worked the 6.5 up. Primed and ready to roll for when the Berger 140's show.

Bought 6 boxes (300 pieces) of ADG 7PRC brass on Monday. Set necks, primed and loaded 100 pieces with 162 SST seconds over 73 grains of LRT. This will be a fire forming load around 2850 FPS for a new 7PRC I'll be getting soon.